Addressing Poverty and Vulnerability in ASEAN: An Analysis of Measures and Implications Going Forward
This paper aims to review and analyse the mechanisms through which the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) quantifies progress vis-à-vis poverty and socio-economic development. Drawing on analytic literature and international experience, this paper details specific reforms that the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community could consider adopting to holistically capture the specific vulnerabilities faced by the ASEAN region and more accurately measure progress in implementing the ASEAN post-2015 vision. These recommendations most significantly include revising the formulation of the purchasing power parity poverty line, harmonising data collection efforts and introducing an ASEAN panel survey, and leveraging the comparatively rich availability of household data among member states to create an ASEAN-specific multidimensional poverty index.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2015|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110|
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alkire, Sabina & Seth, Suman, 2015.
"Multidimensional Poverty Reduction in India between 1999 and 2006: Where and How?,"
Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 93-108.
- Sabina Alkire and Suman Seth, 2013. "Multidimensional Poverty Reduction in India between 1999 and 2006: Where and How?," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp060, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Michael Carter & Christopher Barrett, 2006. "The economics of poverty traps and persistent poverty: An asset-based approach," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 178-199.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7-8), pages 476-487, August.
- Alkire, Sabina & Foster, James, 2011. "Counting and multidimensional poverty measurement," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 476-487.
- Sabina Alkire and James Foster, 2009. "Counting and Multidimensional Poverty Measurement," OPHI Working Papers ophiwp007, Queen Elizabeth House, University of Oxford.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2013. "More Relatively-Poor People in a Less Absolutely-Poor World," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 59(1), pages 1-28, March.
- Chen, Shaohua & Ravallion, Martin, 2012. "More relatively-poor people in a less absolutely-poor world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6114, The World Bank.
- Angus Deaton & Olivier Dupriez, 2011. "Purchasing Power Parity Exchange Rates for the Global Poor," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(2), pages 137-166, April.
- Angus Deaton & Olivier Dupriez, 2009. "Purchasing power parity exchange rates for the global poor," Working Papers 1187, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Research Program in Development Studies..
- Ravallion, Martin, 2012. "Benchmarking global poverty reduction," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6205, The World Bank.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1996. "Satisfaction and comparison income," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 359-381, September.
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1993. "Satisfaction and Comparison Income," Economics Discussion Papers 10018, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1994. "Satisfaction and comparison income," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9408, CEPREMAP.
- Martin Ravallion, 2013. "How Long Will It Take to Lift One Billion People Out of Poverty?," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 28(2), pages 139-158, August.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2013. "How long will it take to lift one billion people out of poverty ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6325, The World Bank.
- World Bank, 2010. "Food Price Increases in South Asia : National Responses and Regional Dimensions," World Bank Other Operational Studies 2885, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:era:wpaper:dp-2015-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.