Value of information in competitive economies with incomplete markets
A substantial literature addresses the negative eect on welfare of the release of information in a competitive market economy. We show that the value of information in this setting is typically positive if asset markets are suciently incomplete. More specically, for any competitive equilibrium of a generic economy, we can nd a ner information structure such that an allocation that is resource feasible and measurable with respect to this information ex- post Pareto dominates the given equilibrium allocation.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hakansson, Nils H & Kunkel, J Gregory & Ohlson, James A, 1982.
" Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1169-81, December.
- Nils H. Hakansson & J. Gregory Kunkel & James A. Ohlson., 1981. "Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 122, University of California at Berkeley.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998.
"Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets,"
Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto Improving Financial Innovation in Incomplete Markets," Post-Print hal-00479286, HAL.
- Rohit Rahi & Piero Gottardi, 2001.
"Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp381, Financial Markets Group.
- Rohit Rahi & Piero Gottardi, 2001. "Efficiency properties of rational expectations equilibria with asymmetric information," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25059, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gottardi, Piero & Rahi, Rohit, 2001. "Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 2922, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rohit Rahi, 2000. "Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1468, Econometric Society.
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Theory of Incomplete Markets, Volume 1," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262632543, June.
- Eckwert, Bernhard & Zilcha, Itzhak, 2001. "The Value of Information in Production Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 172-186, September.
- Edward E. Schlee, 2001. "The Value of Information in Efficient Risk-Sharing Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 509-524, June.
- Lawrence Blume & Tarek Coury & David Easley, 2006. "Information, trade and incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 379-394, October.
- Greenwald, Bruce C & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-64, May.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Alessandro Citanna & Antonio Villanacci, .
"Incomplete markets, allocative efficiency and the information revealed by prices,"
GSIA Working Papers
10, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Citanna, Alessandro & Villanacci, Antonio, 2000. "Incomplete Markets, Allocative Efficiency, and the Information Revealed by Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 222-253, February.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Campbell, Colin M., 2004.
"Blackwell's ordering and public information,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 114(2), pages 179-197, February.
- Milne, Frank & Shefrin, H. M., 1987. "Information and securities: A note on pareto dominance and the second best," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 314-328, December.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
- Green, Jerry R, 1981. "Value of Information with Sequential Futures Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 335-58, March.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1971. "The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 561-74, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:4749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.