On the "Hirshleifer effect'' of unscheduled monetary policy announcements
When monetary policy announcements are expected to occur at scheduled dates, the event of an unscheduled announcement often "surprises" financial markets. However, if the information provider knows the future policy beforehand, he might be induced to anticipate the release of information without waiting for the next scheduled date, on the assumption that better informed traders will be able to attain superior equilibria. On October 15,.1998, January 3 and April 18, 2001 the chairman of U.S. Fed announced a half point interest rate cut well before the next scheduled meeting. The real surprise for the markets was the timing, not the content, of the announcement. In this paper we look at the volume of trade in interest rate futures before these three dates and compare it to the volume of trade before scheduled meetings. We argue that the wrong timing of policy announcements might involve an "Hirshleifer effect" and prevent a significant volumes of securities to transact for hedging purposes.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Highfield, Southampton SO17 1BJ|
Phone: (+44) 23 80592537
Fax: (+44) 23 80593858
Web page: http://www.economics.soton.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alessandro Citanna & Antonio Villanacci, .
"Incomplete markets, allocative efficiency and the information revealed by prices,"
GSIA Working Papers
10, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Citanna, Alessandro & Villanacci, Antonio, 2000. "Incomplete Markets, Allocative Efficiency, and the Information Revealed by Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 222-253, February.
- POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles M. & SECCIA, Giulio, .
"A role for monetary policy when prices reveal information: an example,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1479, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Polemarchakis, H. M. & Seccia, G., 2000. "A Role for Monetary Policy when Prices Reveal Information: An Example," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 107-115, November.
- Heracles M. Polemarchakis & G. Seccia, 1994. "A Role for Monetary Policy When Prices Reveal Information: An Example," Working Papers hal-00607666, HAL.
- POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles & SECCIA, Giulio, 1994. "A Role for Monetary Policy when Prices reveal Information : An Example," CORE Discussion Papers 1994074, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Marshall, John M, 1974. "Private Incentives and Public Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 373-90, June.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- POLEMARCHAKIS, Heracles & SICONOLFI, Paolo, .
"Asset markets and the information revealed by prices,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Polemarchakis, H M & Siconolfi, P, 1993. "Asset Markets and the Information Revealed by Prices," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 3(4), pages 645-61, October.
- Polemarchakis, H. & Siconolfi, P., 1991. "Asset markets and the information revealed by prices," CORE Discussion Papers 1991034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Berk Jonathan B. & Uhlig Harald, 1993. "The Timing of Information in a General Equilibrium Framework," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 275-287, April.
- Burkhard Drees & Bernhard Eckwert, 2002.
"Welfare Effects of Transparency in Foreign Exchange Markets; The Role of Hedging Opportunities,"
IMF Working Papers
02/219, International Monetary Fund.
- Burkhard Drees & Bernhard Eckwert, 2003. "Welfare Effects of Transparency in Foreign Exchange Markets: the Role of Hedging Opportunities," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 453-463, 08.
- Edward E. Schlee, 2001. "The Value of Information in Efficient Risk-Sharing Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 509-524, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:stn:sotoec:0213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Thorn)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.