Value of Information in Competitive Economies with Incomplete Markets
We study the value of information in a competitive economy in which agents trade in asset markets to reallocate risk. We characterize the kinds of information that allow a welfare improvement when portfolios can be freely reallocated. We then compare competitive equilibria before and after a change in information. We show that generically, if markets are sufficiently incomplete, the welfare effects are completely arbitrary: there typically exist changes in information that make all agents better off, or all agents worse off.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Magill & Martine Quinzii, 2002. "Theory of Incomplete Markets, Volume 1," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262632543, June.
- Colin M. Campbell, 2002.
"Blackwell's Ordering and Public Information,"
Departmental Working Papers
200206, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Greenwald, Bruce C & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1986. "Externalities in Economies with Imperfect Information and Incomplete Markets," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(2), pages 229-64, May.
- Rohit Rahi, 2000.
"Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1468, Econometric Society.
- Gottardi, Piero & Rahi, Rohit, 2001. "Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," CEPR Discussion Papers 2922, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rohit Rahi & Piero Gottardi, 2001. "Efficiency Properties of Rational Expectations Equilibria with Asymmetric Information," FMG Discussion Papers dp381, Financial Markets Group.
- Rohit Rahi & Piero Gottardi, 2001. "Efficiency properties of rational expectations equilibria with asymmetric information," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25059, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nils H. Hakansson & J. Gregory Kunkel & James A. Ohlson., 1981.
"Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
122, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hakansson, Nils H & Kunkel, J Gregory & Ohlson, James A, 1982. " Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1169-81, December.
- Alessandro Citanna & Antonio Villanacci, .
"Incomplete markets, allocative efficiency and the information revealed by prices,"
GSIA Working Papers
10, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Citanna, Alessandro & Villanacci, Antonio, 2000. "Incomplete Markets, Allocative Efficiency, and the Information Revealed by Prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 90(2), pages 222-253, February.
- Hirshleifer, Jack, 1971. "The Private and Social Value of Information and the Reward to Inventive Activity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(4), pages 561-74, September.
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Bengt Holmstrom & Roger B. Myerson, 1981.
"Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information,"
495, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Myerson, Roger B, 1983. "Efficient and Durable Decision Rules with Incomplete Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1799-819, November.
- Lawrence Blume & Tarek Coury & David Easley, 2006. "Information, trade and incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(2), pages 379-394, October.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Edward E. Schlee, 2001. "The Value of Information in Efficient Risk-Sharing Arrangements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 509-524, June.
- Eckwert, Bernhard & Zilcha, Itzhak, 2001. "The Value of Information in Production Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 172-186, September.
- Milne, Frank & Shefrin, H. M., 1987. "Information and securities: A note on pareto dominance and the second best," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 314-328, December.
- Green, Jerry R, 1981. "Value of Information with Sequential Futures Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 335-58, March.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Magill, Michael & Shafer, Wayne, 1991. "Incomplete markets," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 30, pages 1523-1614 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eui:euiwps:eco2010/34. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rhoda Lane)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.