Minimum wages and schooling: evidence from the UK's introduction of a national minimum wage
This paper uses the introduction of the national minimum wage in the UK in April 1999 as a ‘natural experiment’ to analyse the impact of minimum wages on enrolment in schooling. At the time of its introduction, only workers aged 18 years or more were covered by the legislation. The paper uses panel data for a sample of young people in a given school-year cohort, some of whom were aged 18 years in spring 1999 and therefore eligible to receive the national minimum wage, and others who were aged only 17 years. We compare participation in post-compulsory schooling for the two groups, both before and after the enactment of the legislation and find robust evidence that eligibility for the national minimum wage significantly reduces the probability of participation in post-compulsory schooling for young people living in areas where the national minimum is high relative to local earnings.
|Date of creation:||May 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelly Bedard & Elizabeth Dhuey, 2006. "The Persistence of Early Childhood Maturity: International Evidence of Long-Run Age Effects," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(4), pages 1437-1472.
- Michele Campolieti & Tony Fang & Morley Gunderson, 2003. "How Minimum Wages Affect Schooling-Employment Outcomes in Canada, 1993-1999," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 26(3), pages 533-545, August.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 1995.
"Minimum-Wage Effects on School and Work Transitions of Teenagers,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 244-49, May.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 1995. "Minimum wage effects on school and work transitions of teenagers," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-7, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1995. "The Effects of Minimum Wages on Teenage Employment and Enrollment: Evidence from Matched CPS Surveys," NBER Working Papers 5092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2002.
"Estimating the Impact of the Minimum Wage Using Geographical Wage Variation,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(s1), pages 583-605, 08.
- Stewart, Mark B, 2002. " Estimating the Impact of the Minimum Wage Using Geographical Wage Variation," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(0), pages 583-605, Supplemen.
- Mark B. Stewart & Joanna K. Swaffield, 2008.
"The Other Margin: Do Minimum Wages Cause Working Hours Adjustments for Low-Wage Workers?,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 75(297), pages 148-167, 02.
- Stewart, Mark B. & Swaffield, Joanna K., 2006. "The other margin : do minimum wages cause working hours adjustments for low-wage workers?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 746, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Stewart, Mark B., 2002.
"The Impact Of The Introduction Of The Uk Minimum Wage On The Employment Probabilities Of Low Wage Workers,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
630, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2004. "The Impact of the Introduction of the U.K. Minimum Wage on the Employment Probabilities of Low-Wage Workers," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 2(1), pages 67-97, 03.
- Stewart, Mark B., 2002. "The Impact of the Introduction of the UK Minimum Wage on the Employment Probabilities of Low Wage Workers," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 169, Royal Economic Society.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Michel, Philippe, 1996.
"Minimum wage unemployment and growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 1463-1482, August.
- Mark Turner & Berna Demiralp, 2001. "Do higher minimum wages harm minority and inner-city teens?," The Review of Black Political Economy, Springer, vol. 28(4), pages 95-116, June.
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance, 2006.
"Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation,"
Handbook of the Economics of Education,
- Cunha, Flavio & Heckman, James J. & Lochner, Lance John & Masterov, Dimitriy V., 2005. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," IZA Discussion Papers 1675, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Flavio Cunha & James J. Heckman & Lance Lochner & Dimitriy V. Masterov, 2005. "Interpreting the Evidence on Life Cycle Skill Formation," NBER Working Papers 11331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Neumark & William Wascher, 1994.
"Minimum Wage Effects on Employment and School Enrollment,"
NBER Working Papers
4679, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 1995. "Minimum Wage Effects on Employment and School Enrollment," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(2), pages 199-206, April.
- Stuart Landon, 1997. "High School Enrollment, Minimum Wages and Education Spending," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 23(2), pages 141-163, June.
- Dean Hyslop & Steven Stillman, 2004.
"Youth Minimum Wage Reform and the Labour Market,"
Treasury Working Paper Series
04/03, New Zealand Treasury.
- Chaplin, Duncan D. & Turner, Mark D. & Pape, Andreas D., 2003. "Minimum wages and school enrollment of teenagers: a look at the 1990's," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 11-21, February.
- Hyslop, Dean & Stillman, Steven, 2007. "Youth minimum wage reform and the labour market in New Zealand," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 201-230, April.
- Neumark, David & Wascher, William, 2003. "Minimum wages and skill acquisition: another look at schooling effects," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 1-10, February.
- Agell, Jonas & Lommerud, Kjell Erik, 1997. "Minimum wages and the incentives for skill formation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 25-40, April.
- David Card, 1992. "Do minimum wages reduce employment? A case study of California, 1987û1989," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 38-54, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:33515. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.