Households' Demand for Higher Environmental Quality: The Case of Russia
This paper employs the Russia Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS) to examine changes in Russian households' averting behavior against air and drinking water pollution and their willingness to pay additional money to the federal or local government for cleaner environment over the period 1994–1998. The empirical analysis demonstrates that the households income and the local environmental pollution do influence the respondent's decision on both averting behavior and his or her willingness to pay for cleaner air and drinking water. Also, the individual's life expectancy, living conditions, and knowledge about the negative impact of polluted environment (higher or serious illness thought to be caused by pollution in the respondent's family) are found to be significant determinants of the probability of the willingness to pay for environmental goods.
|Date of creation:||26 May 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, V. Kerry, 1992. "Arbitrary values, good causes, and premature verdicts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 71-89, January.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Oates, Wallace E, 1992. "Environmental Economics: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(2), pages 675-740, June.
- Raymond J. Kopp & V. Kerry Smith, 1989. "Benefit estimation goes to court: The case of natural resource damage assessments," Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(4), pages 593-612.
- Markowska, Agnieszka & Zylicz, Tomasz, 1999. "Costing an international public good: the case of the Baltic Sea," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 301-316, August.
- Whittington, Dale & Lauria, Donald T. & Mu, Xinming, 1991. "A study of water vending and willingness to pay for water in Onitsha, Nigeria," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 179-198.
- S. V. Ciriacy-Wantrup, 1947. "Capital Returns from Soil-Conservation Practices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 29(4_Part_II), pages 1181-1196.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:05-08e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.