Estimation of Timber Rent and the Efficiency of Increasing Rental Payments in Russia
Though Russia is very rich in natural resources, the share of natural resource rental payments in budget revenues is very low, less than 4% of the consolidated budget. Like many other natural resources in Russia, timber is under-priced, due, largely, to low stumpage fees. In this paper, timber rent in Russia is estimated, using normative data on logging as well as data on timber auctions. The prospects of shifting the tax burden from labor to timber rent are analyzed. It is shown that stumpage fees in Russia can be substantially increased, making it possible to lower other distortionary taxes (e.g., payroll tax), thus raising the efficiency of the tax system.
|Date of creation:||29 May 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web page: http://www.eercnetwork.com
|Order Information:|| Postal: EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS, 92/94, Dmytrivska Str., suite 404, Kyiv, 01135 Ukraine|
Web: https://eercnetwork.com/paper Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Bovenberg & Frederick Van der Ploeg, 1998. "Consequences of Environmental Tax Reform for Unemployment and Welfare," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 12(2), pages 137-150, September.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1996.
"Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment,"
Other publications TiSEM
2a1a87d9-2ed9-41a7-b3aa-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Bovenberg, A. Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1996. "Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1-2), pages 59-83, October.
- Bovenberg, A.L. & van der Ploeg, F., 1993. "Optimal taxation, public goods and environmental policy with involuntary unemployment," Discussion Paper 1993-77, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Koskela, Erkki & Schob, Ronnie, 1999. "Alleviating unemployment:: The case for green tax reforms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(9), pages 1723-1746, October.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- A. Golub & A. Markandiia & E. Strukova, 1998. "Problems of Capturing Rent Income," Problems of Economic Transition, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(7), pages 110-126, November.
- Bosquet, Benoit, 2000. "Environmental tax reform: does it work? A survey of the empirical evidence," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 19-32, July.
- Bovenberg, A Lans & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1998. " Tax Reform, Structural Unemployment and the Environment," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 100(3), pages 593-610, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eer:wpalle:01-13e. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anton Pashchenko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.