Critical Levels of Debt?
High credit growth in Central and Eastern European countries (CEEC) over recent years has sparked interest among many market analysts. Although banking supervision has improved, the continuation of such growth may cause concern about the threat of financial crisis. This paper is written with the aim of analysing the importance of debt factors as a potential cause of financial crises. First, a comparison is conducted of various debt indicators from episodes of crisis in banking across European countries since the 1970s. Second, a probit analysis is used to measure the probability of a crisis. Based on this analysis, it can be claimed that any direct link between debt indicators and financial crises is weak. However, there is some evidence that once the crisis occurs, greater indebtedness lengthens the crisis and raises costs in terms of GDP.
|Date of creation:||10 Oct 2005|
|Date of revision:||10 Oct 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
Web page: http://www.bankofestonia.info
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Estonia bld. 13, 15095 Tallinn, ESTONIA|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simon Gilchrist & Ben S. Bernanke & Mark Gertler, 1994.
"The financial accelerator and the flight to quality,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
94-18, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1996. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Ben Bernanke & Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," NBER Working Papers 4789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernanke, Ben & Gertler, Mark & Gilchrist, Simon, 1994. "The Financial Accelerator and the Flight to Quality," Working Papers 94-24, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 1997. "The Determinants of Banking Crises; Evidence From Developing and Developed Countries," IMF Working Papers 97/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Demirguc, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2000.
"Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility: A Multivariate Logit Approach,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 14(2), pages 287-307, May.
- Enrica Detragiache & Asli DemirgÃ¼Ã§-Kunt, 1999. "Monitoring Banking Sector Fragility; A Multivariate Logit Approach," IMF Working Papers 99/147, International Monetary Fund.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Landerretche, Oscar & Valdés, Rodrigo, 2001.
"Lending Booms: Latin America and the World,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2811, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas & Rodrigo Valdes & Oscar Landerretche, 2001. "Lending Booms: Latin America and the World," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 47-100, January.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Hernandez, Leonardo, 1996. "Macroeconomic Adjustment to Capital Inflows: Lessons from Recent Latin American and East Asian Experience," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 11(1), pages 61-85, February.
- Rudiger Dornbusch, 1984.
"External Debt, Budget Deficits and Disequilibrium Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
1336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- R. Dornbusch, 1984. "External Debt, Budget Deficits and Disequilibrium Exchange Rates," Working papers 347, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Adam Honig, 2006. "Is there a link between dollarization and banking crises?," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(8), pages 1123-1135.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 1996.
"The Roots of Banking Crises: The Macroeconomic Context,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
5819, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Michael Gavin & Ricardo Hausmann, 1996. "The Roots of Banking Crises: The Macroeconomic Context," Research Department Publications 4026, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Daniel C. Hardy & Ceyla Pazarbasioglu, 1999. "Determinants and Leading Indicators of Banking Crises: Further Evidence," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 46(3), pages 1-1.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eea:boewps:wp2005-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peeter Luikmel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.