Monetary policy under the Labour government 1997- 2010: the first 13 years of the MPC
This paper examines the performance of monetary policy under the new framework established in 1997 up to the end of the Labour government in May 2010. Performance was relatively good in the years before the crisis, but much weaker from 2008. The new framework largely neglected open economy issues, while the Treasury’s EMU assessment in 2003 can be interpreted in different ways. inflation targeting in the UK and elsewhere may have contributed in some way to the eruption and depth of the financial crisis from 2008, but UK monetary policy responded in a bold and innovative way. Overall, the design and operation of monetary policy were much better than in earlier periods, but there remains scope for significant further evolution.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 31 Buccleuch Place, EH8 9JT, Edinburgh|
Web page: http://www.sire.ac.uk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eijffinger, Sylvester C W & Geraats, Petra M, 2002.
"How Transparent are Central Banks?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3188, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P., 2006. "How transparent are central banks?," Other publications TiSEM b34dfb1f-520f-4787-a08f-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Geraats, P.M., 2004. "How Transparent Are Central Banks?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0411, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Hans Genberg & Sushil Wadhwani, 2002. "Asset Prices in a Flexible Inflation Targeting Framework," NBER Working Papers 8970, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besley, Timothy & Meads, Neil & Surico, Paolo, 2007.
"Insiders versus Outsiders in Monetary Policy-Making,"
20, Monetary Policy Committee Unit, Bank of England.
- Timothy Besley & Neil Meads & Paolo Surico, 2008. "Insiders versus Outsiders in Monetary Policymaking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 218-23, May.
- Timothy Besley & Neil Meads & Paolo Surico, 2008. "Insiders versus outsiders in monetary policymaking," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33743, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Martin, C. & Milas, C., 2012.
"Quantitative Easing:a Sceptical Survey,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
32987, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- William R. White & Claudio E. V. Borio, 2004.
"Whither monetary and financial stability? the implications of evolving policy regimes,"
BIS Working Papers
147, Bank for International Settlements.
- Claudio Borio & William R. White, 2003. "Whither monetary and financial stability : the implications of evolving policy regimes," Proceedings - Economic Policy Symposium - Jackson Hole, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, pages 131-211.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1998.
"Monetary policy rules in practice Some international evidence,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 1033-1067, June.
- Clarida, Richard & Gali, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," Working Papers 97-32, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," NBER Working Papers 6254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Monetary Policy Rules in Practice: Some International Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers 1750, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cukierman, Alex & Webb, Steven B & Neyapti, Bilin, 1992. "Measuring the Independence of Central Banks and Its Effect on Policy Outcomes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 6(3), pages 353-98, September.
- David Cobham, 2006. "The Overvaluation of Sterling Since 1996: How the Policy makers Responded and Why," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 116(512), pages F185-F207, 06.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012.
"Financial Crisis And Quantitative Easing: Can Broad Money Tell Us Anything?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80, pages 54-76, 09.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers 1206, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Cobham, David & Kang, Yue, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-55, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Christopher Adam & David Cobham & Eric Girardin, 2005. "Monetary Frameworks and Institutional Constraints: UK Monetary Policy Reaction Functions, 1985-2003," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(4), pages 497-516, 08.
- Philip Lowe & Claudio Borio, 2002. "Asset prices, financial and monetary stability: exploring the nexus," BIS Working Papers 114, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jagjit S. Chadha & Peter Macmillan & Charles Nolan, 2007. "Independence Day For The 'Old Lady': A Natural Experiment On The Implications Of Central Bank Independence," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 75(3), pages 311-327, 06.
- repec:ags:aaea07:403 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cukierman Alex, 1992.
"Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, And Independance: Theory And Evidence,"
Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines,
De Gruyter, vol. 3(4), pages 10, December.
- Alex Cukierman, 1992. "Central Bank Strategy, Credibility, and Independence: Theory and Evidence," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262031981.
- Claudio Borio & Piti Disyatat, 2010.
"Unconventional Monetary Policies: An Appraisal,"
University of Manchester, vol. 78(s1), pages 53-89, 09.
- Balls, Edward, 1998. "Open Macroeconomics in an Open Economy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 45(2), pages 113-32, May.
- David Cobham, 2012.
"Central banks and house prices in the run-up to the crisis,"
Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers
1204, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- David Cobham, 2013. "Central banks and house prices in the run-up to the crisis," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(suppl_1), pages i42-i65, April.
- Cobham, David, 2012. "Central banks and house prices in the run-up to the crisis," SIRE Discussion Papers 2012-45, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Bridges, Jonathan & Thomas, Ryland, 2012. "The impact of QE on the UK economy – some supportive monetarist arithmetic," Bank of England working papers 442, Bank of England.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:sirdps:458. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.