Bayesian Regression Analysis with scale mixtures of normals
This paper considers a Bayesian analysis of the linear regression model under independent sampling from general scale mixtures of Normals. Using a common reference prior, we investigate the validity of Bayesian inference and the existence of posterior moments of the regression and scale parameters. We find that whereas existence of the posterior distribution does not depend on the choice of the design matrix or the mixing distribution, both of them can crucially intervene in the existence of posterior moments. We identify some useful characteristics that allow for an easy verification of the existence of a wide range of moments. In addition, we provide full characterizations under sampling from finite mixtures of Normals, Pearson VII or certain Modulated Normal distributions. For empirical applications, a numerical implementation based on the Gibbs sampler is recommended.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geweke, J, 1993. "Bayesian Treatment of the Independent Student- t Linear Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S19-40, Suppl. De.
- Bauwens, L. & Lubrano, M., .
"Bayesian inference on GARCH models using the Gibbs sampler,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1307, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Michel Lubrano, 1998. "Bayesian inference on GARCH models using the Gibbs sampler," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(Conferenc), pages C23-C46.
- Bauwens, L. & Lubrano, M., 1996. "Bayesian Inference on GARCH Models Using the Gibbs Sampler," G.R.E.Q.A.M. 96a21, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- BAUWENs, Luc & LUBRANOÂ , Michel, 1996. "Bayesian Inference on GARCH Models using the Gibbs Sampler," CORE Discussion Papers 1996027, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Osiewalski, J., 1989.
"A Note On Bayesian Inference In A Regression Model With Elliptical Errors,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1989040, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Osiewalski, Jacek, 1991. "A note on Bayesian inference in a regression model with elliptical errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1-2), pages 183-193.
- Carmen Fernandez & Mark F J Steel, 1998.
"Reference priors for the general location-scale model,"
ESE Discussion Papers
23, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fernández, Carmen & Steel, Mark F. J., 1999. "Reference priors for the general location-scale modelm," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 377-384, July.
- Fernández, C. & Steel, M.F.J., 1997. "Reference Priors for the General Location-Scale Model," Discussion Paper 1997-105, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1990.
"To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
950, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P C B, 1991. "To Criticize the Critics: An Objective Bayesian Analysis of Stochastic Trends," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(4), pages 333-64, Oct.-Dec..
- Shephard, Neil, 1994. "Local scale models : State space alternative to integrated GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 181-202.
- Éric Jacquier & Nicholas G. Polson & Peter E. Rossi, 1999.
"Stochastic Volatility: Univariate and Multivariate Extensions,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Eric Jacquier & Nicholas G. Polson & Peter Rossi, . "Stochastic Volatility: Univariate and Multivariate Extensions," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Eric Jacquier & Nicholas G. Polson & Peter Rossi, 1999. "Stochastic Volatility: Univariate and Multivariate Extensions," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 112, Society for Computational Economics.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Shephard, Neil, 1994.
"Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 247-64, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to estimate multivariate stochastic volatility models," Statistical Software Components RTZ00093, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Geweke, John, 1989. "Bayesian Inference in Econometric Models Using Monte Carlo Integration," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1317-39, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.