A Bayesian analysis of multiple-output production frontier
In this paper we develop Bayesian tools for estimating multi-output production frontiers in applications where only input and output data are available. Firm-specific inefficiency is measured relative to this frontier. Our work has important differences from the existing literature, which either assumes a classical econometric perspective with restrictive functional form assumptions, or a non-stochastic approach which directly estimates the output distance function. Bayesian inference is implemented using a Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithm. A banking application shows the ease and practicality of our approach.
|Date of creation:||1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 31 Buccleuch Place, EH8 9JT, Edinburgh|
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carmen Fernandez & Mark F J Steel, 1999.
"Bayesian Regression Analysis with scale mixtures of normals,"
ESE Discussion Papers
27, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Fern ndez, Carmen & Steel, Mark F.J., 2000. "Bayesian Regression Analysis With Scale Mixtures Of Normals," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 80-101, February.
- KOOP , Gary & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995.
"Bayesian Efficiency Analysis through Individual Effects : Hospital Cost Frontiers,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 77-105.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., . "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1245, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Lau, Lawrence J, 1972. "Profit Functions of Technologies with Multiple Inputs and Outputs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 281-89, August.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Geweke, J, 1993. "Bayesian Treatment of the Independent Student- t Linear Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S19-40, Suppl. De.
- Lothgren, Mickael, 1997. "Generalized stochastic frontier production models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 255-259, December.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1999. " The Components of Output Growth: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 455-87, November.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1994.
"Bayesian efficiency analysis with a flexible form : The aim cost function,"
1994-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1994. "Bayesian Efficiency Analysis with a Flexible Form: The AIM Cost Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 339-46, July.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
- Adams, Robert M & Berger, Allen N & Sickles, Robin C, 1999. "Semiparametric Approaches to Stochastic Panel Frontiers with Applications in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 349-58, July.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.