A Bayesian analysis of multiple-output production frontiers
In this paper we develop Bayesian tools for estimating multi-output production frontiers in applications where only input and output data are available. Firm-specific inefficiency is measured relative to this frontier. Our work has important differences from the existing literature, which either assumes a classical econometric perspective with restrictive functional form assumptions, or a non-stochastic approach which directly estimates the output distance function. Bayesian inference is implemented using a Markov Chain Monte Carlo algorithm. A banking application shows the ease and practicality of our approach.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.econ.ed.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1994. "Bayesian Efficiency Analysis with a Flexible Form: The AIM Cost Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 339-46, July.
- Fern ndez, Carmen & Steel, Mark F.J., 2000.
"Bayesian Regression Analysis With Scale Mixtures Of Normals,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 80-101, February.
- Carmen Fernandez & Mark F. J. Steel, 2004. "Bayesian Regression Analysis with scale mixtures of normals," ESE Discussion Papers 27, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997.
"Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 77-105.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M. F. J., . "Bayesian efficiency analysis through individual effects: Hospital cost frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1245, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KOOP , Gary & OSIEWALSKI , Jacek & STEEL , Mark, 1995. "Bayesian Efficiency Analysis through Individual Effects : Hospital Cost Frontiers," CORE Discussion Papers 1995036, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Geweke, J, 1993. "Bayesian Treatment of the Independent Student- t Linear Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(S), pages S19-40, Suppl. De.
- Lau, Lawrence J, 1972. "Profit Functions of Technologies with Multiple Inputs and Outputs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 281-89, August.
- Koop, G. & Osiewalski, J. & Steel, M.F.J., 1994. "Bayesian efficiency analysis with a flexible form: The aim cost function," Discussion Paper 1994-13, .
- Adams, Robert M & Berger, Allen N & Sickles, Robin C, 1999. "Semiparametric Approaches to Stochastic Panel Frontiers with Applications in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 349-58, July.
- Koop, Gary & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F J, 1999. " The Components of Output Growth: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(4), pages 455-87, November.
- Fernandez, Carmen & Osiewalski, Jacek & Steel, Mark F. J., 1997. "On the use of panel data in stochastic frontier models with improper priors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 169-193, July.
- Pittman, Russell W, 1983. "Multilateral Productivity Comparisons with Undesirable Outputs," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 883-91, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:edn:esedps:21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gina Reddie)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.