Asset pricing and housing supply in a production economy
We develop a representative agent model of a production economy in order to explain the joint dynamics of house prices and equity returns. In a model generating costly business cycle fluctuations, we find that restrictions on housing supply have important implications for asset pricing. Together with habit formation in the composite of consumption and leisure, building restrictions provide an explanation for the high volatility of house prices and contribute to the resolution of asset pricing puzzles. JEL Classification: E2, E3, G1
|Date of creation:||Jul 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stijn Van Nieuwerburgh & Pierre-Olivier Weill, 2006.
"Why Has House Price Dispersion Gone Up?,"
NBER Working Papers
12538, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Charles Ka-Yui Leung, 2004.
"Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature,"
Departmental Working Papers
_164, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Leung, Charles, 2004. "Macroeconomics and housing: a review of the literature," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 249-267, December.
- Charles Ka Yui Leung, 2004. "Macroeconomics and Housing: A Review of the Literature," Discussion Papers 00004, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- University of Chicago & Jose L. Fillat, 2008. "Housing as a Measure for the Long Run Risk in Asset Pricing," 2008 Meeting Papers 483, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jaccard, Ivan, 2010.
"Asset pricing, habit memory, and the labor market,"
Working Paper Series
1163, European Central Bank.
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2005.
"Housing And The Business Cycle,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 751-784, 08.
- Jonathan Heathcote, 2003. "Housing and the Business Cycle," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-21, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Davis, Morris & Heathcote, Jonathan, 2001. "Housing and the Business Cycle," Working Papers 01-09, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Morris Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "Housing and the business cycle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009.
"A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1711-1750, November.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 15243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A parsimonious macroeconomic model for asset pricing," Staff Report 434, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Francois Gourio, 2012.
"Disaster Risk and Business Cycles,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(6), pages 2734-66, October.
- Quigley, John M. & Raphael, Steven, 2006.
"Regulation and the High Cost of Housing in California,"
Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series
qt3hh7s35m, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- John M. Quigley & Steven Raphael, 2005. "Regulation and the High Cost of Housing in California," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(2), pages 323-328, May.
- Jin, Yi & Zeng, Zhixiong, 2004. "Residential investment and house prices in a multi-sector monetary business cycle model," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 268-286, December.
- Robert F. Martin & Don Schlagenhauf & Carlos Garriga, 2010. "Housing Boom and Bust Cycles," 2010 Meeting Papers 1080, Society for Economic Dynamics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20121454. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.