Asset pricing, habit memory, and the labor market
This article studies the asset pricing and the business cycle implications of habit formation in a production economy with capital adjustment costs and endogenous labor supply. A specification of internal habit in the mix of consumption and leisure which minimizes the wealth effect on labor supply is introduced into an otherwise standard real business cycle model. This mechanism enhances the model’s ability to explain asset pricing puzzles. JEL Classification: G12, E32, J22
|Date of creation:||Mar 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.int/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Morris Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004.
"Housing and the business cycle,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2004-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Morris A. Davis & Jonathan Heathcote, 2005. "Housing And The Business Cycle," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 751-784, 08.
- Morris A. Davis, 2010. "housing and the business cycle," The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Abel, Andrew B., 1999.
"Risk premia and term premia in general equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 3-33, February.
- Andrew B. Abel, 1998. "Risk Premia and Term Premia in General Equilibrium," NBER Working Papers 6683, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas Tallarini, .
"Risk-Sensitive Real Business Cycles,"
GSIA Working Papers
1997-35, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009.
"A parsimonious macroeconomic model for asset pricing,"
434, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1711-1750, November.
- Fatih Guvenen, 2009. "A Parsimonious Macroeconomic Model for Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 15243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ferson, Wayne E. & Constantinides, George M., 1991.
"Habit persistence and durability in aggregate consumption: Empirical tests,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 199-240, October.
- Wayne E. Ferson & George M. Constantinides, 1991. "Habit Persistence and Durability in Aggregate Consumption: Empirical Tests," NBER Working Papers 3631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & John B. DONALDSON & Paolo SICONOLFI, 2005.
"Distribution Risk and Equity Returns,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp161, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Jean-Pierre Danthine & John B. Donaldson & Paolo Siconolfi, 2005. "Distribution Risk and Equity Returns," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 05.10, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B & Siconolfi, Paolo, 2005. "Distribution Risk and Equity Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5425, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jermann, Urban J., 1998. "Asset pricing in production economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 257-275, April.
- David A. Chapman, 1998. "Habit Formation and Aggregate Consumption," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1223-1230, September.
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Hercowitz, Zvi & Huffman, Gregory W, 1988. "Investment, Capacity Utilization, and the Real Business Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 402-17, June.
- Glenn D. Rudebusch & Eric T. Swanson, 2008.
"Examining the bond premium puzzle with a DSGE model,"
Working Paper Series
2007-25, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Rudebusch, Glenn D. & Swanson, Eric T., 2008. "Examining the bond premium puzzle with a DSGE model," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(Supplemen), pages S111-S126, October.
- Wei, Chao, 2009. "A quartet of asset pricing models in nominal and real economies," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 154-165, January.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B, 2002.
"Labour Relations and Asset Returns,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 69(1), pages 41-64, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecb:ecbwps:20101163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.