Tax Policies and Informality in South Africa
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Gong, Xiaodong & Van Soest, Arthur & Villagomez, Elizabeth, 2004.
"Mobility in the Urban Labor Market: A Panel Data Analysis for Mexico,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 1-36, October.
- Gong, Xiaodong & van Soest, Arthur & Villagomez, Elizabeth, 2000. "Mobility in the Urban Labor Market: A Panel Data Analysis for Mexico," IZA Discussion Papers 213, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gong, X. & van Soest, A.H.O. & Villagomez, E., 2000. "Mobility in the Urban Labor Market : A Panel Data Analysis for Mexico," Discussion Paper 2000-46, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon & John Knight, 2004.
"Race and the Incidence of Unemployment in South Africa,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(2), pages 198-222, May.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2001. "Race and the Incidence of Unemployment in South Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2001-18, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Race and the Incidence of Unemployment in South Africa," Labor and Demography 0409005, EconWPA.
- Gong, Xiaodong & van Soest, Arthur, 2002.
"Wage differentials and mobility in the urban labour market: a panel data analysis for Mexico,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 513-529, September.
- Gong, Xiaodong & van Soest, Arthur, 2001. "Wage Differentials and Mobility in the Urban Labor Market: A Panel Data Analysis for Mexico," IZA Discussion Papers 329, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier Bargain & Marco Caliendo & Peter Haan & Kristian Orsini, 2010. "“Making work pay” in a rationed labor market," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 323-351, January.
- Saracoglu, Durdane Sirin, 2008. "The informal sector and tax on employment: A dynamic general equilibrium investigation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 529-549, February.
- Ruud Mooij, 2008.
"Reinventing the Dutch tax-benefit system: exploring the frontier of the equity-efficiency trade-off,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 15(1), pages 87-103, February.
- Ruud de Mooij, 2007. "Reinventing the Dutch tax-benefit system; exploring the frontier of the equity-efficiency trade-off," CPB Discussion Paper 88, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Falaris, Evangelos M, 1987. "A Nested Logit Migration Model with Selectivity," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(2), pages 429-443, June.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1888 is not listed on IDEAS
- Günther, Isabel & Launov, Andrey, 2012. "Informal employment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 88-98.
- Magnani, Riccardo & Mercenier, Jean, 2009.
"On linking microsimulation and computable general equilibrium models using exact aggregation of heterogeneous discrete-choice making agents,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 560-570, May.
- Magnani R. & Mercenier J., 2008. "On Linking Microsimulation and Computable General Equilibrium Models Using Exact Aggregation of Heterogeneous Discrete-choice Making Agents," Working Papers ERMES 0809, ERMES, University Paris 2.
- Riccardo Magnani & Jean Mercenier, 2009. "On linking microsimulation and computable general equilibrium models using exact aggregation of heterogeneous discrete-choice making agents," Post-Print halshs-00627736, HAL.
- Kingdon, Geeta Gandhi & Knight, John, 2004.
"Unemployment in South Africa: The Nature of the Beast,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 391-408, March.
- Geeta G. Kingdon & John B. Knight, 2001. "Unemployment in South Africa: The nature of the beast," CSAE Working Paper Series 2001-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Geeta Kingdon & John Knight, 2004. "Unemployment in South Africa: the nature of the beast," Labor and Demography 0409003, EconWPA.
- Andreas Peichl, 2009.
"The benefits and problems of linking micro and macromodels - Evidence from a flat tax analysis,"
Journal of Applied Economics,
Universidad del CEMA, vol. 12, pages 301-329, November.
- Andreas Peichl, 2009. "The Benefits and Problems of Linking Micro and Macro Models: Evidence from a Flat Tax Analysis," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 182, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Maloney, William F., 2004. "Informality Revisited," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1159-1178, July.
- Johnson, Simon & Kaufmann, Daniel & Zoido-Lobaton, Pablo, 1998. "Regulatory Discretion and the Unofficial Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 387-392, May.
- McLaren, John, 1998. "Black Markets and Optimal Evadable Taxation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 108(448), pages 665-679, May.
- Geeta Gandhi Kingdon & John Knight, 2006. "How Flexible are Wages in Response to Local Unemployment in South Africa?," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 59(3), pages 471-495, April.
- Tanzi, Vito & Zee, Howell H., 2000.
"Tax Policy for Emerging Markets: Developing Countries,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 53(2), pages 299-322, June.
- Howell H Zee & Vito Tanzi, 2000. "Tax Policy for Emerging Markets; Developing Countries," IMF Working Papers 00/35, International Monetary Fund.
- Lee, Lung-Fei, 1983. "Generalized Econometric Models with Selectivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 507-512, March.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Pratap, Sangeeta & Quintin, Erwan, 2006. "Are labor markets segmented in developing countries? A semiparametric approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 50(7), pages 1817-1841, October.
- Mulinge, Munyae & Mueller, Charles W., 1998. "Employee job satisfaction in developing countries: The case of Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(12), pages 2181-2199, December.
- Jaime Saavedra & Alberto Chong, 1999. "Structural reform, institutions and earnings: Evidence from the formal and informal sectors in urban Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 95-116.
- Lemieux, Thomas & Fortin, Bernard & Frechette, Pierre, 1994. "The Effect of Taxes on Labor Supply in the Underground Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(1), pages 231-254, March.
- Fugazza, Marco & Jacques, Jean-Francois, 2004. "Labor market institutions, taxation and the underground economy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 395-418, January.
- Ihrig, Jane & Moe, Karine S., 2004. "Lurking in the shadows: the informal sector and government policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 541-557, April.
- Maloney, William F, 1999. "Does Informality Imply Segmentation in Urban Labor Markets? Evidence from Sectoral Transitions in Mexico," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 13(2), pages 275-302, May.
More about this item
KeywordsTax Reform; Informal Sector; Labor Supply; CGE Model; Microsimulation; South Africa.;
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
- H24 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Personal Income and Other Nonbusiness Taxes and Subsidies
- O17 - Economic Development, Innovation, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
- C68 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computable General Equilibrium Models
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2015-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-IUE-2015-09-26 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2015-09-26 (Public Finance)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:drm:wpaper:2015-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valerie Mignon). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/modemfr.html .