Modelling Realized Volatility in Electricity Spot Prices: New insights and Application to the Japanese Electricity Market
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Ana-Maria Dumitru & Giovanni Urga, 2011. "Identifying Jumps in Financial Assets: A Comparison Between Nonparametric Jump Tests," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 242-255, October.
- Chan, Kam Fong & Gray, Philip & van Campen, Bart, 2008. "A new approach to characterizing and forecasting electricity price volatility," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 728-743.
- Corsi, Fulvio & Pirino, Davide & Renò, Roberto, 2010.
"Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 276-288, December.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Reno', 2010. "Threshold Bipower Variation and the Impact of Jumps on Volatility Forecasting," LEM Papers Series 2010/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Fulvio Corsi & Davide Pirino & Roberto Renò, 2010. "Threshold bipower variation and the impact of jumps on volatility forecasting," Post-Print hal-00741630, HAL.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2006.
"Econometrics of Testing for Jumps in Financial Economics Using Bipower Variation,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(1), pages 1-30.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Econometrics of testing for jumps in financial economics using bipower variation," Economics Papers 2003-W21, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2004. "Econometrics of testing for jumps in financial economics using bipower variationÂ," OFRC Working Papers Series 2004fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Fulvio Corsi & Stefan Mittnik & Christian Pigorsch & Uta Pigorsch, 2008. "The Volatility of Realized Volatility," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(1-3), pages 46-78.
- Degiannakis, Stavros & Floros, Christos, 2016.
"Intra-day realized volatility for European and USA stock indices,"
Global Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 24-41.
- Degiannakis, Stavros & Floros, Christos, 2014. "Intra-Day Realized Volatility for European and USA Stock Indices," MPRA Paper 64940, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jan 2015.
- Andrew J. Patton & Kevin Sheppard, 2015. "Good Volatility, Bad Volatility: Signed Jumps and The Persistence of Volatility," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 97(3), pages 683-697, July.
- Ciarreta, Aitor & Zarraga, Ainhoa, 2016. "Modeling realized volatility on the Spanish intra-day electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(C), pages 152-163.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Dobrev, Dobrislav & Schaumburg, Ernst, 2012.
"Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 75-93.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009. "Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation," CREATES Research Papers 2009-52, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2010. "Jump-robust volatility estimation using nearest neighbor truncation," Staff Reports 465, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Torben G. Andersen & Dobrislav Dobrev & Ernst Schaumburg, 2009. "Jump-Robust Volatility Estimation using Nearest Neighbor Truncation," NBER Working Papers 15533, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hal:journl:peer-00741630 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ullrich, Carl J., 2012. "Realized volatility and price spikes in electricity markets: The importance of observation frequency," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1809-1818.
- Xin Huang & George Tauchen, 2005. "The Relative Contribution of Jumps to Total Price Variance," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(4), pages 456-499.
- Jiang, George J. & Oomen, Roel C.A., 2008. "Testing for jumps when asset prices are observed with noise-a "swap variance" approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 352-370, June.
- Fulvio Corsi, 2009. "A Simple Approximate Long-Memory Model of Realized Volatility," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(2), pages 174-196, Spring.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1998. "Answering the Skeptics: Yes, Standard Volatility Models Do Provide Accurate Forecasts," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 885-905, November.
- Ole E. Barndorff‐Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2002.
"Econometric analysis of realized volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models,"
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B,
Royal Statistical Society, vol. 64(2), pages 253-280, May.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2000. "Econometric analysis of realised volatility and its use in estimating stochastic volatility models," Economics Papers 2001-W4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, revised 05 Jul 2001.
- Neil Shephard & Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Realised Volatility and Its Use in Estimating Stochastic Volatility Models," Economics Series Working Papers 71, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Fabienne Comte & Eric Renault, 1998.
"Long memory in continuous‐time stochastic volatility models,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(4), pages 291-323, October.
- Comte, F. & Renault, E., 1996. "Long Memory in Continuous Time Stochastic Volatility Models," Papers 96.406, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
- Nakano, Makiko & Managi, Shunsuke, 2008. "Regulatory reforms and productivity: An empirical analysis of the Japanese electricity industry," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 201-209, January.
- Qu, Hui & Chen, Wei & Niu, Mengyi & Li, Xindan, 2016. "Forecasting realized volatility in electricity markets using logistic smooth transition heterogeneous autoregressive models," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 68-76.
- Fang, Yan & Ielpo, Florian & Sévi, Benoît, 2012. "Empirical bias in intraday volatility measures," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 231-237.
- Shin S. Ikeda, 2013. "An Empirical Market Microstructure Analysis of the Implied Spread Cost in the Japanese Day-Ahead Electricity Market," GRIPS Discussion Papers 12-22, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies.
- Suzanne S. Lee & Per A. Mykland, 2008. "Jumps in Financial Markets: A New Nonparametric Test and Jump Dynamics," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 21(6), pages 2535-2563, November.
- Alvaro Escribano & J. Ignacio Peña & Pablo Villaplana, 2011.
"Modelling Electricity Prices: International Evidence,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 73(5), pages 622-650, October.
- Escribano Sáez, Álvaro & Peña Sánchez de Rivera, Juan Ignacio & Villaplana Conde, Pablo, 2002. "Modeling electricity prices: international evidence," UC3M Working papers. Economics we022708, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Hosoe, Nobuhiro, 2006. "The deregulation of Japan's electricity industry," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 230-246, March.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Back, Kerry, 1991. "Asset pricing for general processes," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 371-395.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dpr:wpaper:0991. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Librarian). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/isosujp.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.