Pricing the major hub airports
Implementing congestion pricing at twenty-seven major US airports would reduce delays by thirteen passenger-years and one thousand aircraft-hours every day, saving three to five million dollars. Chicago and Atlanta would save about one thousand dollars per aircraft. Airport revenues would increase about eleven million dollars daily. A bottleneck model with stochastic queues estimates substantial welfare gains whether or not airlines internalize self-imposed delays. Erroneously imposing fees from the non-internalizing specification on internalizing airlines, however, would be a costly mistake. The model calculates equilibrium traffic rates, queuing delays, layover times, connection times, and congestion fee schedules by minute of the day.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Urban Economics.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Purnell Hall, Newark, Delaware 19716|
Phone: (302) 831-2565
Fax: (302) 831-6968
Web page: http://lerner.udel.edu/departments/economics/department-economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1990.
"Economics of a bottleneck,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 111-130, January.
- Omosigho, S. E. & Worthington, D. J., 1988. "An approximation of known accuracy for single server queues with inhomogeneous arrival rate and continuous service time distribution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 304-313, February.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Pahwa, Munish, 2000. "Comparison of Three Empirical Models of Airport Congestion Pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1990. "Airport pricing : Congestion tolls, lumpy investment, and cost recovery," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 353-374, December.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dlw:wpaper:08-13.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Saul Hoffman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.