Pricing the major hub airports
Implementing congestion pricing at twenty-seven major US airports would reduce delays by thirteen passenger-years and one thousand aircraft-hours every day, saving three to five million dollars. Chicago and Atlanta would save about one thousand dollars per aircraft. Airport revenues would increase about eleven million dollars daily. A bottleneck model with stochastic queues estimates substantial welfare gains whether or not airlines internalize self-imposed delays. Erroneously imposing fees from the non-internalizing specification on internalizing airlines, however, would be a costly mistake. The model calculates equilibrium traffic rates, queuing delays, layover times, connection times, and congestion fee schedules by minute of the day.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Urban Economics.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (302) 831-2565
Fax: (302) 831-6968
Web page: http://www.lerner.udel.edu/departments/economics/department-economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Arnott & Andre de Palma & Robin Lindsey, 1985.
"Economics of a Bottleneck,"
636, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Pahwa, Munish, 2000. "Comparison of Three Empirical Models of Airport Congestion Pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-38, January.
- Omosigho, S. E. & Worthington, D. J., 1988. "An approximation of known accuracy for single server queues with inhomogeneous arrival rate and continuous service time distribution," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 304-313, February.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Zhang, Yimin, 1990. "Airport pricing : Congestion tolls, lumpy investment, and cost recovery," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 353-374, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dlw:wpaper:08-13.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Saul Hoffman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.