Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues
This paper models and estimates congestion prices and capacity for large hub airports with stochastic queues, time-varying traffic rates, and endogenous intertemporal adjustment of traffic in response to queuing delay and fees. Relative costs of queuing and schedule delays are estimated using data from Minneapolis-St. Paul. Simulations calculate equilibrium traffic patterns, queuing delays, schedule delays, congestion fees, airport revenues, airport capacity, and efficiency gains. The paper also investigates whether a dominant airline internalizes delays its aircraft impose. It tests game-theoretic specifications with atomistic, Nash-dominant, Stackelberg-dominant, and collusive-airline traffic. Copyright 1995 by The Econometric Society.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 63 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: 1 212 998 3820|
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.econometricsociety.org/publications/econometrica/access/ordering-back-issues Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vickrey, William S, 1969. "Congestion Theory and Transport Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 251-60, May.
- Moshe Ben-Akiva & Andre de Palma & Pavlos Kanaroglou, 1984. "Dynamic Model of Peak Period Traffic Congestion with Elastic Arrival Rates," Working Papers 588, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Carlin, Alan & Park, Rolla Edward, 1970. "Marginal Cost Pricing of Airport Runway Capacity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 310-19, June.
- Mulligan, James G, 1983. "The Economies of Massed Reserves," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 725-34, September.
- Arnott, R. & de Palma, A. & Lindsey, R., 1990. "Departure time and route choice for the morning commute," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 209-228, June.
- Arnott, Richard & de Palma, Andre & Lindsey, Robin, 1993. "A Structural Model of Peak-Period Congestion: A Traffic Bottleneck with Elastic Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 161-79, March.
- Small, Kenneth A, 1982. "The Scheduling of Consumer Activities: Work Trips," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 72(3), pages 467-79, June.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Hall, A. D., 1988. "Tests of non-nested linear regression models subject to linear restrictions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 341-348.
- Mulligan, James G., 1986. "Technical change and scale economies given stochastic demand and production," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 189-201, June.
- Severin Borenstein, 1988. "On the Efficiency of Competitive Markets for Operating Licenses," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 103(2), pages 357-385.
- Small, Kenneth A., 1983. "The incidence of congestion tolls on urban highways," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 90-111, January.
- Ben-Akiva, Moshe & Cyna, Michèle & de Palma, André, 1984. "Dynamic model of peak period congestion," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(4-5), pages 339-355.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecm:emetrp:v:63:y:1995:i:2:p:327-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.