Public versus private airport behavior when concession revenues exist
The share of revenues from airport concession services among airports worldwide has reached an average level of roughly 50% today. Since concessions may exert downward pressure on the private aeronautical charge, the question is whether price regulation of private airports has become obsolete. The recent literature on airport concessions suggests that private airport pricing may still be excessive from the social viewpoint. This paper complements this literature by considering (i) two distinct types of concession services called retail services and car rentals, (ii) two-sided demand complementarity between aeronautical and concession services, and (iii) specific airport concession services that are welfare neutral in the sense that the surplus derived from concession services is independent of traveling activities. In this setting, airport price regulation can become obsolete, but concession services of the car-rental type can also increase the benefits of airport price regulation.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2002. "Airport Congestion When Carriers Have Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1357-1375, December.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Airport capacity and congestion when carriers have market power," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 229-247, September.
- Christopher Mayer & Todd Sinai, 2003. "Network Effects, Congestion Externalities, and Air Traffic Delays: Or Why Not All Delays Are Evil," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1194-1215, September.
- Jan K. Brueckner & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Atomistic Congestion Tolls at Concentrated Airports? Seeking a Unified View in the Internalization Debate,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2033, CESifo Group Munich.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Van Dender, Kurt, 2008. "Atomistic congestion tolls at concentrated airports? Seeking a unified view in the internalization debate," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 288-295, September.
- Daniel, Joseph I, 1995. "Congestion Pricing and Capacity of Large Hub Airports: A Bottleneck Model with Stochastic Queues," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(2), pages 327-70, March.
- Lu, Ching-Chyuan & Pagliari, Romano I., 2004. "Evaluating the potential impact of alternative airport pricing approaches on social welfare," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-17, January.
- Xiaowen Fu & Anming Zhang, 2010. "Effects of Airport Concession Revenue Sharing on Airline Competition and Social Welfare," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 44(2), pages 119-138, May.
- Tae Hoon Oum & Anming Zhang & Yimin Zhang, 2004. "Alternative Forms of Economic Regulation and their Efficiency Implications for Airports," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 38(2), pages 217-246, May.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2003. "Airport charges and capacity expansion: effects of concessions and privatization," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 54-75, January.
- Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2003. "Access to and competition between airports: a case study for the San Francisco Bay area," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 71-83, January.
- James A. Brander & Anming Zhang, 1990. "Market Conduct in the Airline Industry: An Empirical Investigation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(4), pages 567-583, Winter.
- Graham, Anne, 2009. "How important are commercial revenues to today's airports?," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 106-111.
- Hugo E. Silva & Erik T. Verhoef & Vincent A.C. van den Berg, 2012. "Airlines' Strategic Interactions and Airport Pricing in a Dynamic Bottleneck Model of Congestion," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-056/3, Tinbergen Institute, revised 15 Jul 2013.
- Steven A. Morrison & Clifford Winston, 2007. "Another Look at Airport Congestion Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(5), pages 1970-1977, December.
- Forsyth, Peter, 2004. "Locational and monopoly rents at airports: creating them and shifting them," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 51-60.
- Pels, Eric & Verhoef, Erik T., 2004. "The economics of airport congestion pricing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 257-277, March.
- Daniel, Joseph I. & Harback, Katherine Thomas, 2008. "(When) Do hub airlines internalize their self-imposed congestion delays?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(2), pages 583-612, March.
- David Starkie, 2001. "Reforming UK Airport Regulation," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 35(1), pages 119-135, January.
- Hangjun Yang & Anming Zhang, 2011. "Price-cap regulation of congested airports," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 293-312, June.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, June.
- Morrison, Steven A., 1987. "The equity and efficiency of runway pricing," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 45-60, October.
- Van Dender, Kurt, 2007. "Determinants of fares and operating revenues at US airports," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 317-336, September.
- Czerny, Achim I. & Zhang, Anming, 2011. "Airport congestion pricing and passenger types," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 595-604, March.
- M. Geuens & D. Vantomme & M. Brengman, 2003. "Developing a typology of airport shoppers," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 03/206, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2010. "Airport capacity and congestion pricing with both aeronautical and commercial operations," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 404-413, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecotra:v:2:y:2013:i:1:p:38-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.