What Affects the Remittances of Turkish Workers: Turkish or German Output?
In this paper we examine the interactions between the remittances of the Turkish workers in Germany and the output both in Turkey and in Germany. In our analysis we use the new data set provided by the German monetary authorities, which was never before employed in the literature and which we consider as a more reliable source than the data sets used in the other studies. We show that the remittances positively respond to the changes in the German output and do not react at all to the changes in Turkish output. This finding is consistent with the "remittance maximization" and "inheritance" motives of the migrants' behavior.
|Length:||III, 22 p.|
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreoni, James, 1989. "Giving with Impure Altruism: Applications to Charity and Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1447-58, December.
- Nicholas P. Glytsos, 1997. "Remitting Behaviour of "Temporary" and "Permanent" Migrants: The Case of Greeks in Germany and Australia," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(3), pages 409-435, November.
- Serdar Sayan, 2004. "Guest Workers' Remittances and Output Fluctuations in Host and Home Countries : The Case of Remittances from Turkish Workers in Germany," Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 40(6), pages 68-81, November.
- El-Sakka, M. I. T. & McNabb, Robert, 1999. "The Macroeconomic Determinants of Emigrant Remittances," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 1493-1502, August.
- Rapoport, Hillel & Docquier, Frederic, 2006.
"The Economics of Migrants' Remittances,"
Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism,
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & de Rezende Rocha, Robert, 1992. "Determinants of expatriate workers'remittances in North Africa and Europe," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1038, The World Bank.
- Cooley, Thomas F. & Ohanian, Lee E., 1991.
"The cyclical behavior of prices,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 25-60, August.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Osman Tuncay Aydas & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Bilin Neyapti, 2005.
"Determinants of Workers' Remittances : The Case of Turkey,"
Emerging Markets Finance and Trade,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 41(3), pages 53-69, May.
- Bilin Neyapti & Kivilcim Metin-Ozcan & Osman Tuncay Aydas, 2004. "Determinants of Workers Remittances : The Case of Turkey," Working Papers 0405, Department of Economics, Bilkent University.
- Matthew Higgins & Alketa Hysenbegasi & Susan Pozo, 2004. "Exchange-rate uncertainty and workers' remittances," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(6), pages 403-411.
- Poirine, Bernard, 1997. "A theory of remittances as an implicit family loan arrangement," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 589-611, January.
- Hoddinott, John, 1994. "A Model of Migration and Remittances Applied to Western Kenya," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 46(3), pages 459-76, July.
- Lucas, Robert E B & Stark, Oded, 1985. "Motivations to Remit: Evidence from Botswana," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(5), pages 901-18, October.
- Faini, Riccardo, 1994. "Workers Remittances and the Real Exchange Rate: A Quantitative Framework," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 235-45.
- Nicholas Glytsos, 2005. "“Dynamic Effects of Migrant Remittances on Growth: An Econometric Model with an Application to Mediterranean Countries”. Discussion Paper, No. 74, KEPE, Athens, 2002," Labor and Demography 0505014, EconWPA.
- Lucas, Robert E B, 1985. "Mines and Migrants in South Africa," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1094-1108, December.
- Ilahi, Nadeem & Jafarey, Saqib, 1999. "Guestworker migration, remittances and the extended family: evidence from Pakistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 485-512, April.
- Glytsos, Nicholas & Katseli, Louka Tarsitsa, 1986. "Theoretical and Empirical Determinants of International Labour Mobility: A Greek-German Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 148, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.