Does FDI Promote Human Capital Accumulation? The Role of Gradual Financial Liberalization
We argue that how inward foreign direct investment (FDI) affects domestic human capital accumulation (HCA) depends on the degree of financial deregulation. Utilizing the Chinese experience and its panel data, the OLS (ordinary least squares) regressions suggest that FDI has a significant positive interaction effect with financial deregulation on HCA. Specifically, the estimated coeffcient on FDI is positive but insignificant, while that on its interaction with financial deregulation is significantly positive. It means that FDI promotes HCA in China, and higher degree of financial deregulation reinforces the promoting effect. Instrumenting FDI with two sets of instruments grounded on different rationales (which ensures valid identification), our limited-information maximum likelihood (LIML) estimation results are similar to those of OLS. The results are also robust when we control for other factors affecting HCA, and time and province effects.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cema.cufe.edu.cn/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Branstetter, Lee G. & Feenstra, Robert C., 2002.
"Trade and foreign direct investment in China: a political economy approach,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 335-358, December.
- Lee G. Branstetter & Robert C. Feenstra, 1999. "Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Political Economy Approach," NBER Working Papers 7100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lin, Justin Yifu, 1992. "Rural Reforms and Agricultural Growth in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(1), pages 34-51, March.
- Alfaro, Laura & Chanda, Areendam & Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Sayek, Selin, 2004.
"FDI and economic growth: the role of local financial markets,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 89-112, October.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Laura Alfaro & Selin Sayek & Areendam Chanda, 2002. "FDI and Economic Growth: The Role of Local Financial Markets," Macroeconomics 0212007, EconWPA.
- J. David Cummins & Maria Rubio-Misas, 2001. "Deregulation, Consolidation, and Efficiency: Evidence From the Spanish Insurance Industry," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-01, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe, 2006.
"Natural resource abundance and human capital accumulation,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1060-1083, June.
- Jean-Philippe C. Stijns, 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation," Development and Comp Systems 0112001, EconWPA.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe C., 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance and Human Capital Accumulation," Conference Papers 25128, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Nunnenkamp, Peter & Spatz, Julius, 2002.
"Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?,"
Open Access Publications from Kiel Institute for the World Economy
2976, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Peter Nunnenkamp, 2002. "Determinants of FDI in Developing Countries: Has Globalization Changed the Rules of the Game?," Kiel Working Papers 1122, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe C., 2001.
"Natural Resource Abundance And Economic Growth Revisited,"
Berkeley Economics Dissertations-in-Progress Series
25127, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Stijns, Jean-Philippe C., 2005. "Natural resource abundance and economic growth revisited," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 107-130, June.
- Jean-Philippe Stijns, 2001. "Natural Resource Abundance And Economic Growth Revisited," Development and Comp Systems 0103001, EconWPA.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines, 2006.
"Capital Controls, Liberalizations, and Foreign Direct Investment,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1433-1464.
- Mihir A. Desai & C. Fritz Foley & James R. Hines Jr., 2004. "Capital Controls, Liberalizations, and Foreign Direct Investement," NBER Working Papers 10337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miao Wang, 2010. "Foreign direct investment and domestic investment in the host country: evidence from panel study," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(29), pages 3711-3721.
- Melvyn Weeks & James Yudong Yao, 2003. "Provincial Conditional Income Convergence in China, 1953-1997: A Panel Data Approach," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(1), pages 59-77, February.
- repec:dgr:rugsom:00e27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Chow, Gregory C, 1993.
"Capital Formation and Economic Growth in China,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 108(3), pages 809-42, August.
- A. Jbili, 1997. "Financial Sector Reforms in Algeria, Morocco, and Tunisia; A Preliminary Assessment," IMF Working Papers 97/81, International Monetary Fund.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, 2004.
"Do Institutions Cause Growth?,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 271-303, 09.
- James Riedel & William S. Turley, 1999. "The Politics and Economics of Transition to an Open Market Economy in Viet Nam," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 152, OECD Publishing.
- Alwyn Young, 2003. "Gold into Base Metals: Productivity Growth in the People's Republic of China during the Reform Period," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(6), pages 1220-1261, December.
- Beugelsdijk, Sjoerd & Smeets, Roger & Zwinkels, Remco, 2008. "The impact of horizontal and vertical FDI on host's country economic growth," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 452-472, August.
- Peter D. Goldsmith & Thomas L. Sporleder, 1998. "Analyzing Foreign Direct Investment Decisions by Food and everage Firms: An Empirical Model of Transaction Theory," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 46(3), pages 329-346, November.
- James H. Stock & Motohiro Yogo, 2002. "Testing for Weak Instruments in Linear IV Regression," NBER Technical Working Papers 0284, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yudon, Y. & Weeks, M., 2000. "Provincial Income Convergence in China, 1953-1997: a Panel Data Approach," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0010, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cuf:wpaper:455. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Qiang Gao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.