Riding successive product diffusion waves : building a tsunami via upgrade-rebate programs
We discuss how trade-in rebates can be used to manage product multigenerational innovation diffusion waves, and study the optimal behavior of the firm controlling the prices and rebates associated to product upgrades. We show how this strategy accelerates the diffusion and can lead to profit increments of about 5%. The strategy is profitable even when the rebate subsidizes the upgrades entirely.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uc3m.es/es/index|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald Lehmann & Mercedes Esteban-Bravo, 2006. "When giving some away makes sense to jump-start the diffusion process," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 243-254, December.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, December.
- Engelbert Dockner & Steffen Jørgensen, 1988. "Optimal Pricing Strategies for New Products in Dynamic Oligopolies," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 315-334.
- Dan Horsky & Karl Mate, 1988. "Dynamic Advertising Strategies of Competing Durable Good Producers," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(4), pages 356-367.
- Stefan Stremersch & Eitan Muller & Renana Peres, 2010. "Does new product growth accelerate across technology generations?," Marketing Letters, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 103-120, June.
- Heese, Hans S. & Cattani, Kyle & Ferrer, Geraldo & Gilland, Wendell & Roth, Aleda V., 2005. "Competitive advantage through take-back of used products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 143-157, July.
- Morris A. Cohen & Jehoshua Eliasberg & Teck-Hua Ho, 1996. "New Product Development: The Performance and Time-to-Market Tradeoff," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(2), pages 173-186, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:wbrepe:wb114011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ana Poveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.