Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Processes of Interest Rates Using Asymmetric Kernels
This paper proposes a nonparametric regression using asymmetric kernel functions for nonnegative, absolutely regular processes, and specializes this technique to estimating scalar diffusion models of spot interest rate. We illustrate the advantages of asymmetric kernel estimators for bias correction and efficiency gains. The finite-sample properties and the practical relevance of the proposed estimators are evaluated in the context of bond and option pricing. We also present estimation results from empirical analysis of the term structure of U.S. interest rates.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:||Dec 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (514) 848-3900
Fax: (514) 848-4536
Web page: http://economics.concordia.ca
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2005.
"Jackknifing Bond Option Prices,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(2), pages 707-742.
- Jun Yu & Peter Phillips, 2004. "Jackknifing Bond Option Prices," Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings 115, Econometric Society.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Jun Yu, 2003. "Jackknifing Bond Option Prices," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1392, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Arapis, Manuel & Gao, Jiti, 2004.
"Empirical comparisons in short-term interest rate models using nonparametric methods,"
11974, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 23 Dec 2005.
- Manuel Arapis & Jiti Gao, 2006. "Empirical Comparisons in Short-Term Interest Rate Models Using Nonparametric Methods," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 4(2), pages 310-345.
- Bouezmarni, Taoufik & Scaillet, Olivier, 2005. "Consistency Of Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators And Smoothed Histograms With Application To Income Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 390-412, April.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2008.
"Estimation of partial differential equations with applications in finance,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 392-408, June.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2004. "Estimation of partial differential equations with applications in finance," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24738, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2007.
"Nonparametric Filtering of the Realised Spot Volatility: A Kernel-based Approach,"
CREATES Research Papers
2007-02, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Kristensen, Dennis, 2010. "Nonparametric Filtering Of The Realized Spot Volatility: A Kernel-Based Approach," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 60-93, February.
- Stanton, Richard, 1997. " A Nonparametric Model of Term Structure Dynamics and the Market Price of Interest Rate Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1973-2002, December.
- Matthias HAGMANN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"Local Multiplicative Bias Correction for Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp91, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Hagmann, M. & Scaillet, O., 2007. "Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 213-249, November.
- Matthias Hagmann & Olivier Scaillet, 2004. "Local Multiplicative Bias Correction For Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004 25, Royal Economic Society.
- Broze, Laurence & Scaillet, Olivier & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 1995.
"Testing for continuous-time models of the short-term interest rate,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 199-223, September.
- BROZE, Laurence & SCAILLET, Olivier & ZAKOIANÂ , Jean-Michel, 1993. "Testing for Continuous-Time Models of the Short-Term Interest Rate," CORE Discussion Papers 1993031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Olivier RENAULT & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"On the Way to Recovery: A Nonparametric Bias Free Estimation of Recovery Rate Densities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp83, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Renault, Olivier & Scaillet, Olivier, 2004. "On the way to recovery: A nonparametric bias free estimation of recovery rate densities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2915-2931, December.
- Bandi, Federico M., 2002. "Short-term interest rate dynamics: a spatial approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 73-110, July.
- Bandi, Federico & Corradi, Valentina & Moloche, Guillermo, 2009. "Bandwidth selection for continuous-time Markov processes," MPRA Paper 43682, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Racine, Jeff, 2000. "Consistent cross-validatory model-selection for dependent data: hv-block cross-validation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 39-61, November.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fan J. & Zhang C., 2003. "A Reexamination of Diffusion Estimators With Applications to Financial Model Validation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 98, pages 118-134, January.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
NBER Working Papers
5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- J. Gustafsson & M. Hagmann & J.P. Nielsen & O. Scaillet, 2006.
"Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions,"
Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series
06-32, Swiss Finance Institute, revised Jun 2007.
- Gustafsson, J. & Hagmann, M. & Nielsen, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2009. "Local Transformation Kernel Density Estimation of Loss Distributions," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 161-175.
- Durham, Garland B., 2003. "Likelihood-based specification analysis of continuous-time models of the short-term interest rate," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 463-487, December.
- Jiang, George J. & Knight, John L., 1997. "A Nonparametric Approach to the Estimation of Diffusion Processes, With an Application to a Short-Term Interest Rate Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 615-645, October.
- Christopher S. Jones, 2003. "Nonlinear Mean Reversion in the Short-Term Interest Rate," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(3), pages 793-843, July.
- Song Chen, 2000. "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 471-480, September.
- Jiang, George J., 1998. "Nonparametric Modeling of U.S. Interest Rate Term Structure Dynamics and Implications on the Prices of Derivative Securities," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(04), pages 465-497, December.
- Nicolau, Jo o, 2003. "Bias Reduction In Nonparametric Diffusion Coefficient Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 754-777, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crd:wpaper:08011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Economics Department)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.