Empirical likelihood-based inference for nonparametric recurrent diffusions
This paper provides a new approach to constructing confidence intervals for nonparametric drift and diffusion functions in the continuous-time diffusion model via empirical likelihood (EL). The log EL ratios are constructed through the estimating equations satisfied by the local linear estimators. Limit theories are developed by means of increasing time span and shrinking observational intervals. The results apply to both stationary and nonstationary recurrent diffusion processes. Simulations show that for both drift and diffusion functions, the new procedure performs remarkably well in finite samples and clearly dominates the conventional method in constructing confidence intervals based on asymptotic normality. An empirical example is provided to illustrate the usefulness of the proposed method.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Nicolau, Jo o, 2003. "Bias Reduction In Nonparametric Diffusion Coefficient Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(05), pages 754-777, October.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999.
"Descriptive Econometrics for Nonstationary Time Series with Empirical Illustrations,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1219, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2001. "Descriptive econometrics for non-stationary time series with empirical illustrations," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 389-413.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2001.
"Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1332, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Federico M. Bandi & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2003. "Fully Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusion Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(1), pages 241-283, January.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 385-426.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Testing Continuous-Time Models of the Spot Interest Rate," NBER Working Papers 5346, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stanton, Richard, 1997. " A Nonparametric Model of Term Structure Dynamics and the Market Price of Interest Rate Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1973-2002, December.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980.
"On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980. "On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation," NBER Working Papers 0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pritsker, Matt, 1998. "Nonparametric Density Estimation and Tests of Continuous Time Interest Rate Models," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 449-87.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Levine's Bibliography 321307000000000307, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," NBER Working Papers 5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moloche, Guillermo, 2001. "Local Nonparametric Estimation of Scalar Diffusions," MPRA Paper 46154, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2004.
"Estimation in two classes of semiparametric diffusion models,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24739, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dennis Kristensen, 2004. "Estimation in Two Classes of Semiparametric Diffusion Models," FMG Discussion Papers dp500, Financial Markets Group.
- Sundaresan, S.M., 2000. "Continuous-Time Methods in Finance: A Review and an Assessment," Papers 00-03, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- David A. Chapman & Neil D. Pearson, 1998.
"Is the Short Rate Drift Actually Nonlinear?,"
- Jiang, George J. & Knight, John L., 1997. "A Nonparametric Approach to the Estimation of Diffusion Processes, With an Application to a Short-Term Interest Rate Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 615-645, October.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Bandi, Federico M. & Nguyen, Thong H., 2003. "On the functional estimation of jump-diffusion models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 293-328.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Yuichi Kitamura, 2006. "Empirical Likelihood Methods in Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1569, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Chen, Song Xi & Gao, Jiti & Tang, Chenghong, 2005. "A test for model specification of diffusion processes," MPRA Paper 11976, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Feb 2007.
- Kleinow, Torsten, 2002. "Testing the diffusion coefficient," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,38, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Bandi, Federico M., 2002. "Short-term interest rate dynamics: a spatial approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 73-110, July.
- Yongmiao Hong, 2005. "Nonparametric Specification Testing for Continuous-Time Models with Applications to Term Structure of Interest Rates," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 18(1), pages 37-84.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:153:y:2009:i:1:p:65-82. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.