Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators
We consider semiparametric asymmetric kernel density estimators when the unknown density has support on [0, ¥). We provide a unifying framework which contains asymmetric kernel versions of several semiparametric density estimators considered previously in the literature. This framework allows us to use popular parametric models in a nonparametric fashion and yields estimators which are robust to misspecification. We further develop a specification test to determine if a density belongs to a particular parametric family. The proposed estimators outperform rival non- and semiparametric estimators in finite samples and are simple to implement. We provide applications to loss data from a large Swiss health insurer and Brazilian income data.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matthias Hagmann & Olivier Scaillet, 2004.
"Local Multiplicative Bias Correction For Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
25, Royal Economic Society.
- Hagmann, M. & Scaillet, O., 2007. "Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 213-249, November.
- Matthias HAGMANN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003. "Local Multiplicative Bias Correction for Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators," FAME Research Paper Series rp91, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Song Chen, 2000. "Probability Density Function Estimation Using Gamma Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 471-480, September.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- Olivier SCAILLET, 2001.
"Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Guassian Kernels,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- O. Scaillet, 2001. "Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Gaussian Kernels," THEMA Working Papers 2001-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- White, Halbert, 1982. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Misspecified Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 1-25, January.
- Marcelo Fernandes & Joachim Grammig, 2000.
"Non-Parametric Specification Tests For Conditional Duration Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2000
40, Society for Computational Economics.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2005. "Nonparametric specification tests for conditional duration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 35-68, July.
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Grammig, Joachim, 2003. "Nonparametric specification tests for conditional duration models," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 502, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Fernandes, M. & Grammig, J., 2000. "Non-Parametric Specification Tests for Conditional Duration Models," Economics Working Papers eco2000/4, European University Institute.
- Robert F. Engle, 1996.
"The Econometrics of Ultra-High Frequency Data,"
NBER Working Papers
5816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank A Cowell & Francisco H.G. Ferreira & Julie Litchfield, 1996. "Income Distribution in Brazil 1981-1990: Parametric and Non-Parametric Approaches," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 21, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Lawford, Steve, 2004. "Optimal asymmetric kernels," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 61-68, April.
- Olivier RENAULT & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003.
"On the Way to Recovery: A Nonparametric Bias Free Estimation of Recovery Rate Densities,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp83, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Renault, Olivier & Scaillet, Olivier, 2004. "On the way to recovery: A nonparametric bias free estimation of recovery rate densities," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(12), pages 2915-2931, December.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Perch Nielsen, Jens, 2000.
"Kernel Density Estimation of Actuarial Loss Functions,"
Finance Working Papers
00-4, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Bolance, Catalina & Guillen, Montserrat & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2003. "Kernel density estimation of actuarial loss functions," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 19-36, February.
- Song Chen, 2002.
"Local Linear Smoothers Using Asymmetric Kernels,"
Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics,
Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 312-323, June.
- Gourieroux Christian & Monfort Alain & Trognon A, 1981.
"Pseudo maximum likelihood methods : theory,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Fernandes, Marcelo & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger, 2004.
"Central limit theorem for asymmetric kernel functionals,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
522, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Marcelo Fernandes & Paulo Monteiro, 2005. "Central limit theorem for asymmetric kernel functionals," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 57(3), pages 425-442, September.
- Fernandes, M., 2000. "Central Limit Theorem for Asymmetric Kernel Functionals," Economics Working Papers eco2000/1, European University Institute.
- Bouezmarni, Taoufik & Scaillet, Olivier, 2005. "Consistency Of Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators And Smoothed Histograms With Application To Income Data," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(02), pages 390-412, April.
- Gozalo, Pedro & Linton, Oliver, 2000. "Local nonlinear least squares: Using parametric information in nonparametric regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 63-106, November.
- Fan, Yanqin, 1998. "Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based On Kernel Density Estimators With Fixed Smoothing Parameters," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(05), pages 604-621, October.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia, 1995.
"Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities,"
NBER Working Papers
5345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine, 1996. "Nonparametric Pricing of Interest Rate Derivative Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 527-60, May.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Christian Gourieroux & Joanna Jasiak, 2001. "Local Likelihood Density Estimation and Value at Risk," Working Papers 2001-31, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:141:y:2007:i:1:p:213-249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.