An application of local linear regression with asymmetric kernels to regression discontinuity designs
Estimation of causal eects in regression discontinuity designs relies on a local Wald estimator whose components are estimated via local linear regressions centred at an specic point in the range of a treatment assignment variable. The asymptotic distribution of the estimator depends on the specic choice of kernel used in these nonparametric regressions, with some popular kernels causing a notable loss of effciency. This article presents the asymptotic distribution of the local Wald estimator when a gamma kernel is used in each local linear regression. The resulting statistics is easy to implement, consistent at the usual nonparametric rate, maintains its asymptotic normal distribution, but its bias and variance do not depend on kernel-related constants and, as a result, is becomes a more effcient method. The effciency gains are measured via a limited Monte Carlo experiment, and the new method is used in a substantive application.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0)161 275 4868
Fax: (0)161 275 4812
Web page: http://www.socialsciences.manchester.ac.uk/subjects/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999.
"Local linear smoothers using asymmetric kernels,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
1999,100, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Song Chen, 2002. "Local Linear Smoothers Using Asymmetric Kernels," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 54(2), pages 312-323, June.
- Jinyong Hahn & Petra Todd & Wilbert Van der Klaauw, 1999. "Evaluating the Effect of an Antidiscrimination Law Using a Regression-Discontinuity Design," NBER Working Papers 7131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Osborne, Martin J & Slivinski, Al, 1996.
"A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(1), pages 65-96, February.
- Martin J. Osborne & Al Slivinksi, 1995. "A Model of Political Competition with Citizen-Candidates," Department of Economics Working Papers 1995-01, McMaster University.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frölich, Markus & Melly, Blaise, 2008.
"Quantile Treatment Effects in the Regression Discontinuity Design,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3638, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Frandsen, Brigham R. & Frölich, Markus & Melly, Blaise, 2012. "Quantile treatment effects in the regression discontinuity design," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 168(2), pages 382-395.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2009.
"The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(5), pages 2209-26, December.
- Erich Battistin & Agar Brugiavini & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2008. "The retirement consumption puzzle: evidence from a regression discontinuity approach," IFS Working Papers W08/05, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Agar Brugiavini & Erich Battistin, & Enrico Rettore & Guglielmo Weber, 2007. "The Retirement Consumption Puzzle: Evidence from a Regression Discontinuity Approach," Working Papers 2007_27, Department of Economics, University of Venice "Ca' Foscari".
- Bruce M. Brown, 1999. "Beta-Bernstein Smoothing for Regression Curves with Compact Support," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(1), pages 47-59.
- Douglas Almond & Joseph J. Doyle, Jr. & Amanda E. Kowalski & Heidi Williams, 2008.
"Estimating Marginal Returns to Medical Care: Evidence from At-Risk Newborns,"
NBER Working Papers
14522, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Almond & Joseph J. Doyle, Jr. & Amanda E. Kowalski & Heidi Williams, 2010. "Estimating Marginal Returns to Medical Care: Evidence from At-Risk Newborns," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 125(2), pages 591-634, May.
- van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 1997. "A Regression-Discontinuity Evaluation of the Effect of Financial Aid Offers on College Enrollment," Working Papers 97-10, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- O. Scaillet, 2001.
"Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Gaussian Kernels,"
THEMA Working Papers
2001-24, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Olivier SCAILLET, 2001. "Density Estimation Using Inverse and Reciprocal Inverse Guassian Kernels," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2001017, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Feir, Donna & Lemieux, Thomas & Marmer, Vadim, 2010. "Weak Identification in Fuzzy Regression Discontinuity Designs," Microeconomics.ca working papers vadim_marmer-2010-19, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 02 Mar 2015.
- Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen, 1997.
"An Economic Model of Representative Democracy,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(1), pages 85-114, February.
- Tim Besley & Stephen Coate, . ""An Economic Model of Representative Democracy''," CARESS Working Papres 95-02, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Tim Besley & Stephen Coate, . "An Economic Model of Representative Democracy," Penn CARESS Working Papers ecf70d639d700dba5327ab0c8, Penn Economics Department.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Douglas Almond & Joseph J. Doyle, 2011. "After Midnight: A Regression Discontinuity Design in Length of Postpartum Hospital Stays," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 1-34, August.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Lemieux, Thomas, 2008.
"Regression discontinuity designs: A guide to practice,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 615-635, February.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Working Papers 13039, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Thomas Lemieux, 2007. "Regression Discontinuity Designs: A Guide to Practice," NBER Technical Working Papers 0337, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, David S., 2008. "Randomized experiments from non-random selection in U.S. House elections," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(2), pages 675-697, February.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Victor Lavy, 1999. "Using Maimonides' Rule To Estimate The Effect Of Class Size On Scholastic Achievement," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 533-575, May.
- Hahn, Jinyong & Todd, Petra & Van der Klaauw, Wilbert, 2001. "Identification and Estimation of Treatment Effects with a Regression-Discontinuity Design," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 201-09, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:man:sespap:1016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marianne Sensier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.