Debt Bias in Corporate Income Taxation and the Costs of Banking Crises
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Daniel Teichmann, 2014. "Tax reforms and the capital structure of banks," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 21(4), pages 645-693, August.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Jing Yang & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2012. "Bank stock returns, leverage and the business cycle," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-1395, November.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Stephen R. Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to micro data methods and practice," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer;Instituto Superior de Economia e Gestao, vol. 1(2), pages 141-162, August.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, "undated". "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Stephen Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Valencia, Fabián, 2014.
"Monetary policy, bank leverage, and financial stability,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 20-38.
- Fabian Valencia, 2011. "Monetary Policy, Bank Leverage, and Financial Stability," IMF Working Papers 11/244, International Monetary Fund.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2010. "The Changing Nature of Financial Intermediation and the Financial Crisis of 2007–2009," Annual Review of Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 603-618, September.
- Reint Gropp & Florian Heider, 2010. "The Determinants of Bank Capital Structure," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 14(4), pages 587-622.
- Gordy, Michael B., 2003.
"A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules,"
Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 199-232, July.
- Michael B. Gordy, 2002. "A risk-factor model foundation for ratings-based bank capital rules," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2002-55, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- James Crotty, 2009.
"Structural causes of the global financial crisis: a critical assessment of the 'new financial architecture',"
Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 563-580, July.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," Working Papers wp180, Political Economy Research Institute, University of Massachusetts at Amherst.
- James Crotty, 2008. "Structural Causes of the Global Financial Crisis: A Critical Assessment of the ‘New Financial Architecture’," UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers 2008-14, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaetan Nicodeme, 2010.
"The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy,"
20, Directorate General Taxation and Customs Union, European Commission.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaëtan Nicodème, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," Working Papers CEB 10-006.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Hemmelgarn, Thomas & Nicodème, Gaëtan, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7666, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Hemmelgarn & Gaëtan J.A. Nicodème, 2010. "The 2008 Financial Crisis and Taxation Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 2932, CESifo.
- Riccardo Lisa & Stefano Zedda & Francesco Vallascas & Francesca Campolongo & Massimo Marchesi, 2011. "Modelling Deposit Insurance Scheme Losses in a Basel 2 Framework," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer;Western Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 123-141, December.
- Stephen Bond, 2002. "Dynamic panel data models: a guide to microdata methods and practice," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/02, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2010. "The changing nature of financial intermediation and the financial crisis of 2007-09," Staff Reports 439, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Schepens, Glenn, 2016. "Taxes and bank capital structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 120(3), pages 585-600.
- Kraus, Alan & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1973. "A State-Preference Model of Optimal Financial Leverage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 911-922, September.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. "The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-592, July.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shackelford, Douglas A. & Shaviro, Daniel N. & Slemrod, Joel, 2010. "Taxation and the Financial Sector," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association;National Tax Journal, vol. 63(4), pages 781-806, December.
- Grace Gu & Ruud Mooij & Tigran Poghosyan, 2015. "Taxation and leverage in international banking," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 22(2), pages 177-200, April.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ludger Schuknecht, 2019. "Fiscal-Financial Vulnerabilities," CESifo Working Paper Series 7776, CESifo.
- Bremus, Franziska & Schmidt, Kirsten & Tonzer, Lena, 2020.
"Interactions between bank levies and corporate taxes: How is bank leverage affected?,"
EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics.
- Bremus, Franziska & Schmidt, Kirsten & Tonzer, Lena, 2020. "Interactions between bank levies and corporate taxes: How is bank leverage affected?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 118(C).
- Bremus, Franziska & Schmidt, Kirsten & Tonzer, Lena, 2019. "Interactions between bank levies and corporate taxes: How is the bank leverage affected?," ESRB Working Paper Series 103, European Systemic Risk Board.
- Bremus, Franziska & Schmidt, Kirsten & Tonzer, Lena, 2020. "Interactions between bank levies and corporate taxes: How is bank leverage affected?," Discussion Papers 43/2020, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Kogler, Michael, 2019. "Profit Taxation and Bank Risk Taking," VfS Annual Conference 2019 (Leipzig): 30 Years after the Fall of the Berlin Wall - Democracy and Market Economy 203533, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Bofinger, Peter & Schnabel, Isabel & Feld, Lars P. & Schmidt, Christoph M. & Wieland, Volker, 2015. "Zukunftsfähigkeit in den Mittelpunkt. Jahresgutachten 2015/16," Annual Economic Reports / Jahresgutachten, German Council of Economic Experts / Sachverständigenrat zur Begutachtung der gesamtwirtschaftlichen Entwicklung, volume 127, number 201516, September.
- Stephanie Guichard, 2017. "10 Years after the Global Financial Crisis: What Have We Learnt About International Capital Flows?," Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 8(03), pages 1-30, October.
- Serena Fatica & Wouter Heynderickx & Andrea Pagano, 2020.
"Banks, Debt And Risk: Assessing The Spillovers Of Corporate Taxes,"
Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 58(2), pages 1023-1044, April.
- Fatica, Serena & Heynderickx, Wouter & Pagano, Andrea, 2018. "Banks, debt and risk: assessing the spillovers of corporate taxes," Working Papers 2018-09, Joint Research Centre, European Commission (Ispra site).
- Michael Kogler, 2021. "Profit Taxation and Bank Risk Taking," CESifo Working Paper Series 8830, CESifo.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Elif Acar & Gamze Vural & Emin HÃ¼seyin Ã‡etenak, 2020. "Evidence for Financial Hierarchy Theory in Capital Structure Decisions: Data from BIST Companies," Bogazici Journal, Review of Social, Economic and Administrative Studies, Bogazici University, Department of Economics, vol. 34(1), pages 29-50.
- Cristina Aybar-Arias & Alejandro Casino-Martínez & José López-Gracia, 2012. "On the adjustment speed of SMEs to their optimal capital structure," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 977-996, November.
- İbrahim Yarba & Z. Nuray Güner, 2020. "Leverage dynamics: Do financial development and government leverage matter? Evidence from a major developing economy," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 59(5), pages 2473-2507, November.
- Davide Dottori & Giacinto Micucci, 2018.
"Corporate liquidity in Italy and its increase in the long recession,"
Economia Politica: Journal of Analytical and Institutional Economics, Springer;Fondazione Edison, vol. 35(3), pages 981-1014, December.
- Davide Dottori & Giacinto Micucci, 2018. "Corporate liquidity in Italy and its increase in the long recession," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 420, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Im, Hyun Joong & Kang, Ya & Shon, Janghoon, 2020. "How does uncertainty influence target capital structure?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 64(C).
- Ala’a Adden Abuhommous & Tareq Mashoka, 2018. "A dynamic approach to accounts receivable: the case of Jordanian firms," Eurasian Business Review, Springer;Eurasia Business and Economics Society, vol. 8(2), pages 171-191, June.
- Surenderrao Komera & P. J. Jijo Lukose, 2016. "Heterogeneity and Asymmetry in Speed of Leverage Adjustment: The Indian Experience," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 19(03), pages 1-26, September.
- Konstantinos Tzioumis & Leora F. Klapper, 2012.
"Taxation and Capital Structure: Evidence from a Transition Economy,"
FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 68(2), pages 165-190, June.
- Leora Klapper & Konstantinos Tzioumis, 2008. "Taxation and Capital Structure: evidence from a transition economy," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 16, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Klapper, Leora & Tzioumis, Konstantinos, 2008. "Taxation and capital structure : evidence from a transition economy," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4753, The World Bank.
- Dufour, Dominique & Luu, Philippe & Teller, Pierre, 2018. "The influence of cash flow on the speed of adjustment to the optimal capital structure," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 62-71.
- Anna Białek-Jaworska & Natalia Nehrebecka, 2016. "The role of bank credit in business financing in Poland," Working Papers 2016-03, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Quang Thi Thieu Nguyen & Christopher Gan & Zhaohua Li, 2020. "Capital regulation and bank balance sheet adjustments: a simultaneous approach," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 60(2), pages 1563-1599, June.
- Zhang, Dongyang & Liu, Deqiang, 2017. "Determinants of the capital structure of Chinese non-listed enterprises: Is TFP efficient?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 179-202.
- Alnori, Faisal & Alqahtani, Faisal, 2019. "Capital structure and speed of adjustment in non-financial firms: Does sharia compliance matter? Evidence from Saudi Arabia," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 50-67.
- Biswajit Ghose & Kailash Chandra Kabra, 2018. "Dynamic Capital Structure Adjustments and Business Group Affiliations: Indian Evidence," Business Perspectives and Research, , vol. 6(1), pages 27-41, January.
- Dang, Viet Anh & Kim, Minjoo & Shin, Yongcheol, 2012. "Asymmetric capital structure adjustments: New evidence from dynamic panel threshold models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 465-482.
- Jouida, Sameh, 2018. "Diversification, capital structure and profitability: A panel VAR approach11We are grateful to the editor and the anonymous reviewer for their valuable comments," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 243-256.
- SimÃ³n Sosvilla-Rivero & Victor Echevarria Icaza, 2017.
"Systemic banks, capital composition and CoCo bonds issuance:The effects on bank risk,"
17-03, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Victor Echevarria-Icaza & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2017. "Systemic banks, capital composition and CoCo bonds issuance: The effects on bank risk," IREA Working Papers 201707, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Apr 2017.
- Victor Echevarria-Icaza & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, 2017. "Systemic banks, capital composition and CoCo bonds issuance: The effects on bank risk," Working Papers del Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales 1706, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Instituto Complutense de Estudios Internacionales.
- Temimi, Akram & Zeitun, Rami & Mimouni, Karim, 2016. "How does the tax status of a country impact capital structure? Evidence from the GCC region," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 37, pages 71-89.
- Sardo, Filipe & Serrasqueiro, Zélia & Félix, Elisabete G.S., 2020. "Does Venture Capital affect capital structure rebalancing? The case of small knowledge-intensive service firms," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 170-179.
- Francisco Sogorb- Mira & José Lopez- Gracia, 2003. "Pecking Order Versus Trade-Off: An Empirical Approach To The Small And Medium Enterprise Capital Structure," Working Papers. Serie EC 2003-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
More about this item
Keywordscapital structure; debt bias; public finance; systemic risk; taxation;
All these keywords.
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:10616. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: https://www.cepr.org .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.