A Note on Modelling Dynamics in Happiness Estimations
This short note discusses two alternative ways to model dynamics in happiness regressions. A explained, this may be important when standard fixed effects estimates have serial correlation in the residuals, but is also potentially useful when serial correlation is not a problem for providing new insights in the happiness of economics area. The note discusses modelling dynamics two ways the note discusses are via a lagged dependent variable, and via an AR(1) process. The usefulness and statistical appropriateness of each is discussed with reference to happiness. Finally, a flow chart is provided summarising key decisions regarding the choice regarding, and potential necessity of, modelling dynamics.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
IFS Working Papers
W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012.
"Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction,"
46926, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised May 2013.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "Heaven knows I’m miserable now: overeducation and reduced life satisfaction," MPRA Paper 43259, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- David Roodman, 2006.
"How to Do xtabond2: An Introduction to "Difference" and "System" GMM in Stata,"
103, Center for Global Development.
- David Roodman, 2009. "How to do xtabond2: An introduction to difference and system GMM in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 9(1), pages 86-136, March.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "A Happiness Test of Human Capital Theory," MPRA Paper 43496, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Beck, Nathaniel & Katz, Jonathan N., . "Modeling dynamics in time-series-cross-section political economy data," Working Papers 1304, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- David Blanchflower & Andrew Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2013.
"Is Psychological Well-Being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?,"
Social Indicators Research,
Springer, vol. 114(3), pages 785-801, December.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald & Sarah Stewart-Brown, 2012. "Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," NBER Working Papers 18469, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J. & Stewart-Brown, Sarah, 2012. "Is Psychological Well-being Linked to the Consumption of Fruit and Vegetables?," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 996, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Blanchflower, David G; Oswald, Andrew, 2011.
CAGE Online Working Paper Series
39, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas & Newey, Whitney & Rosen, Harvey S, 1988.
"Estimating Vector Autoregressions with Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1371-95, November.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate IV estimation of VAR in panel data," Statistical Software Components RTZ00185, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Piper, Alan T., 2012. "Dynamic Analysis and the Economics of Happiness: Rationale, Results and Rules," MPRA Paper 43248, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2012.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995.
"Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990. "Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models," CEP Discussion Papers dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Bichaka Fayissa & Shah Danyal & J.S. Butler, 2011. "The Impact of Education on Health Status: Evidence from Longitudinal Survey Data," Working Papers 201101, Middle Tennessee State University, Department of Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:49364. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.