Poverty impacts of agricultural policy adjustments in an opening economy: the case of Colombia
We aim to contribute to the assessment of poverty impacts on the rural sector arising from agricultural policy adjustments in Colombia. For this we use an agriculture specialized static CGE model, jointly (sequentially) with a microsimulation model that allows for effective job relocation. Results indicate that the sectoral impact of the program implemented tends to be small and has considerable variability across crops. They also show that the highest impacts come from the irrigation and land improvements component of the program. Lastly, although it reduces poverty, poverty impacts are small and tend to concentrate in rural households toward the middle of the income distribution ladder.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty and Income Distribution in a CGE-Household Micro-Simulation Model: Top-Down/Bottom Up Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0343, CIRPEE.
- Carlos Medina & Christian Manuel Posso Suárez, 2010.
"Technical Change and Polarization of the Labor Market: Evidence for Brazil, Colombia and Mexico,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007269, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Carlos Medina & Christian Posso, 2010. "Technical Change and Polarization of the Labor Market: Evidence for Brazil, Colombia and Mexico," Borradores de Economia 614, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Wayne Thirsk, 1974. "Factor Substitution in Colombian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 56(1), pages 73-84.
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & John Cockburn, 2010. "Guest Editorial - Macro-micro analytics: background, motivation, advantages and remaining challenges," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-7.
- Boys, Kathryn A. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2007. "Meta-Regression Estimates for CGE Models: A Case Study for Input Substitution Elasticities in Production Agriculture," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9683, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Brooks, Jonathan & Filipski, Mateusz & Jonasson, Erik & Taylor, J. Edward, 2010. "Modelling The Distributional Impacts Of Agricultural Policies In Developing Countries: The Development Policy Evaluation Model (Devpem)," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 91961, Agricultural Economics Society. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000092:008575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Economía)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.