Poverty impacts of agricultural policy adjustments in an opening economy: the case of Colombia
We aim to contribute to the assessment of poverty impacts on the rural sector arising from agricultural policy adjustments in Colombia. For this we use an agriculture specialized static CGE model, jointly (sequentially) with a microsimulation model that allows for effective job relocation. Results indicate that the sectoral impact of the program implemented tends to be small and has considerable variability across crops. They also show that the highest impacts come from the irrigation and land improvements component of the program. Lastly, although it reduces poverty, poverty impacts are small and tend to concentrate in rural households toward the middle of the income distribution ladder.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brooks, Jonathan & Filipski, Mateusz & Jonasson, Erik & Taylor, J. Edward, 2010. "Modelling The Distributional Impacts Of Agricultural Policies In Developing Countries: The Development Policy Evaluation Model (Devpem)," 84th Annual Conference, March 29-31, 2010, Edinburgh, Scotland 91961, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Luc Savard, 2003. "Poverty and Income Distribution in a CGE-Household Micro-Simulation Model: Top-Down/Bottom Up Approach," Cahiers de recherche 0343, CIRPEE.
- Wayne Thirsk, 1974. "Factor Substitution in Colombian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 56(1), pages 73-84.
- François Bourguignon & Maurizio Bussolo & John Cockburn, 2010. "Guest Editorial - Macro-micro analytics: background, motivation, advantages and remaining challenges," International Journal of Microsimulation, International Microsimulation Association, vol. 3(1), pages 1-7.
- Boys, Kathryn A. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2007. "Meta-Regression Estimates for CGE Models: A Case Study for Input Substitution Elasticities in Production Agriculture," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9683, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:col:000092:008575. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Facultad de Economía)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.