Endogenous Growth and Sustainable Tourism
I build a dynamic general equilibrium model of a small economy specialized in tourism where visitors are attracted by the stock of existing environmental assets, and the stock of tourism and leisure facilities. Residents, at any date, choose the level of consumption, the number of visitors, and the quantity of resources to be devoted to abatement of pollution, the latter being generated by the existing stock of tourism facilities and by the flow of tourists. I analyze the balanced growth path properties of this economy, and focus on the sensitiveness of its qualitative dynamic behaviour, according to different subsets in the parameters space. The model is able to perform both endogenous growth and sustainability of the environmental resource. We analyse the condition for this result to hold and we find that when tourists preferences are greener (i.e. they care for environmental quality and they are crowding-adverse), the economy generally grows faster. Finally, we develop the transitional dynamics analysis in the case of constant environmental quality in the long-run. Given its generality and flexibility, we believe our model may serve as a workhorse model suitable to be used as an instrument to perform for many relevant policy exercises.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sergio T. Rebelo, 1990.
"Long Run Policy Analysis and Long Run Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
3325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riaz Shareef & Suheija Hoti & Michael McAleer, 2008. "The Economics of Small Island Tourism," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12968.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004.
"Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly,"
2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- Smulders, J.A. & Gradus, R.H.J.M., 1993.
"Pollution abatement and long-term growth,"
1993-73, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- F. Cerina, 2006. "Tourism specialization and environmental sustainability in a dynamic economy," Working Paper CRENoS 200602, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- S. Giannoni & F. Cerina, 2008. "Pollution Adverse Tourists and Growth," Working Paper CRENoS 200822, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Hernandez, Juan M. & Leon, Carmelo J., 2007. "The interactions between natural and physical capitals in the tourist lifecycle model," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 184-193, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cns:cnscwp:201234. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonello Pau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.