Destination Unknown. Is there any Economics Beyond Tourism Areas?
In recent years, several papers have been focussing on various aspects of tourism destinations. The destination is a central issue within tourism studies, embodying in one single concept all the specific and problematic features of tourism, such as its systemic nature in which "space" plays a fundamental role. In this paper we argue that tourism economics shapes itself as an independent discipline within applied economics through the analysis of destinations. Firstly, destinations are neither microeconomic agents nor macroeconomic aggregates, but territorial systems which supply at least one tourism product (a bundle of goods and services) able to satisfy the complex needs of tourism demand. Secondly, the economic analysis of destinations can identify two specific theorems, the love of variety theorem and the coordination theorem which allow to interpret the tourism destination as a particular type of economic district, which shares some of the features of the industrial district and some others of the cultural district. Classification-JEL: L1, L83, R3, R5
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2005. "The Economics of Local Tourist Systems," Working Papers 2005.138, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006.
"Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Guido Candela & Paolo Figini & Antonello E. Scorcu, 2009. "Destination Management and Tourists’ Choice with a Two-Part Tariff Price of the Holiday," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 99(2), pages 107-125, April-Jun.
- G. Candela & R. Cellini & A. E. Scorcu, 1999. "Comportamenti d’impresa e informazione del consumatore," Working Papers 347, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Nearchou, Paris & Pashardes, Panos, 2008. "Intermediaries as quality assessors: Tour operators in the travel industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 372-392, January.
- Aleix Calveras & Marcos Vera-Hernandez, 2003. "Quality Externalities among Hotel Establishments: What is the Impact of Tour Operators," Industrial Organization 0303001, EconWPA.
- F. Cerina, 2006. "Tourism specialization and environmental sustainability in a dynamic economy," Working Paper CRENoS 200602, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Tiziana Cuccia & Walter Santagata, 2003. "Adhesion-Exit: incentivi e diritti di proprietà collettivi nei distretti culturali," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2003(80).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ren:journl:v:2:y:2010:i:3:p:256-271. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Fernando Reyes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.