Coping with Externalities in Tourism - A Dynamic Optimal Taxation Approach
The paper studies optimal taxation (subvention) when tourism is associated with „multiple externalities“, using a simple dynamic model of a small open economy, which is completely specialized in the production of tourism services and populated by a large number of intertemporally optimizing agents. Depending on the volume of tourism production, the externality can be either positive or negative. We show that the first best optimum, achieved by a central planner, recognizing the externality, can be replicated in a decentralized economy by using a time-varying tax rate. This ensures that (i) the steady state of the first best optimum is reached and that (ii) the speed of convergence to steady state is socially optimal.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Jacques Nowak & Mondher Sahli & Pasquale M. Sgro, 2003.
"Tourism, Trade And Domestic Welfare,"
Pacific Economic Review,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 8(3), pages 245-258, October.
- Pasquale M. Sgro & Jean-Jacques Nowak & Mondher Sahli, 2004. "Tourism, Trade and Domestic Welfare," Working Papers 2004.24, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Hazari, Bharat R. & Sgro, Pasquale M., 2004. "Tourism, globalization, social externalities, and domestic welfare," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 141-149, June.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1997. "Equilibrium Growth in a Small Economy Facing an Imperfect World Capital Market," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(1), pages 1-22, February.
- Claudio Piga, 2003. "Pigouvian Taxation in Tourism," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 26(3), pages 343-359, November.
- Claudio A. Piga, 2006. "Pigouvian Taxation in Tourism," Discussion Paper Series 2006_2, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jan 2006.
- repec:mul:je8794:doi:10.1429/24288:y:2007:i:1:p:83 is not listed on IDEAS
- Guido Candela & Roberto Cellini, 2006. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 35(1), pages 41-58, September.
- Roberto Cellini & Guido Candela, 2004. "Investment in Tourism Market: A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly," Working Papers 2004.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- F. Cerina, 2006. "Tourism specialization and environmental sustainability in a dynamic economy," Working Paper CRENoS 200602, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Hayashi, Fumio, 1982. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average q: A Neoclassical Interpretation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(1), pages 213-224, January.
- Fumio Hayashi, 1981. "Tobin's Marginal q and Average a : A Neoclassical Interpretation," Discussion Papers 457, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Pasquale M. Sgro & Chi-Chur Chao & Bharat R. Hazari & Jean-Pierre Laffargue & Eden S. H. Yu, 2005. "Tourism, Jobs, Capital Accumulation and the Economy: A Dynamic Analysis," Working Papers 2005.136, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Bharat R. Hazari & Jean-Pierre Laffargue & Pasquale M. Sgro & Eden S. H. Yu, 2005. "Tourism, jobs, capital accumulation and the economy: A dynamic analysis," PSE Working Papers halshs-00590811, HAL.
- Carlos Gómez & Javier Lozano & Javier Rey-Maquieira, 2008. "Environmental policy and long-term welfare in a tourism economy," Spanish Economic Review, Springer;Spanish Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 41-62, March.
- Paolo Figini & Massimiliano Castellani & Laura Vici, 2007. "Estimating Tourist Externalities on Residents: A Choice Modeling Approach to the Case of Rimini," Working Papers 2007.76, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Schubert, Stefan Franz & Brida, Juan Gabriel, 2008. "The Dynamic Effects of Subsidizing the Tourism Sector," MPRA Paper 16755, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brock, William A & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "The Analysis of Macroeconomic Policies in Perfect Foresight Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 179-209, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:16736. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.