Heterogeneity in R&D Cooperation: An Empirical Investigation
This work explores the roles of potential simultaneity and heterogeneity in determining firms decisions to engage in R&D collaboration, using a sample of Italian manufacturing firms. Partnerships with other firms, research institutions, universities and other small centres are considered jointly by applying a multivariate probit specification. This allows for systematic correlations among different cooperation choices. The results support the hypothesis that the four cooperation decisions are interdependent. The decision to cooperate in R&D differs significantly depending on the cooperation options. Public support, the researcher intensity and the size are all of importance in determining R&D alliance strategies.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Via S. Giorgio 12, I-09124 Cagliari|
Web page: http://www.crenos.unica.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Borsch-Supan, Axel & Hajivassiliou, Vassilis A., 1993.
"Smooth unbiased multivariate probability simulators for maximum likelihood estimation of limited dependent variable models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 347-368, August.
- Vassilis A. Hajivassiliou & Axel Borsch-Supan, 1990. "Smooth Unbiased Multivariate Probability Simulators for Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Limited Dependent Variable Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 960, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- LG Deidda & B. Fattouh, 2010. "Relationship Finance, Market Finance and Endogenous Business Cycles," Working Paper CRENoS 201008, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Bonte, Werner & Keilbach, Max, 2005. "Concubinage or marriage? Informal and formal cooperations for innovation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 279-302, April.
- Keilbach, Max & Bönte, Werner, 2004. "Concubinage or Marriage? Informal and Formal Cooperations for Innovation," ZEW Discussion Papers 04-11, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Busom, Isabel & Fernández-Ribas, Andrea, 2008. "The impact of firm participation in R&D programmes on R&D partnerships," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 240-257, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)