Impact of Early Retirement Incentives on Labour Market Participation: Evidence from a Parametric Change in the Czech Republic
We investigate the impact of a change in the Czech early retirement scheme on the labor force participation of older male workers. Using the difference-in-differences method we find that a reduction in early retirement benefits by 2â€“3% leads to approximately the same decrease in the probability of being inactive. Our finding implies high elasticity of older male workersâ€™ participation rate. The public policy implication is that a reduction in early retirement benefits can serve as a very effective tool to increase the participation of older men in the Czech labor market.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Na Prikope 28, 115 03 Prague 1|
Phone: 00420 2 2442 1111
Fax: 00420 2 2421 8522
Web page: http://www.cnb.cz/en/research/research_intro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1991.
"The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation,"
NBER Working Papers
3699, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Alan B & Pischke, Jorn-Steffen, 1992. "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 10(4), pages 412-437, October.
- Alan B. Krueger & Jorn-Steffen Pischke, 1989. "The Effect of Social Security on Labor Supply: A Cohort Analysis of the Notch Generation," Working Papers 635, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne, 1999. "Early Retirement Provisions and the Labor Force Behavior of Older Men: Evidence from Canada," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 724-756, October.
- Kamil Galuscak, 2002.
"Retirement Decisions of Older Czech Male Workers,"
Labor and Demography
- Brinch, Christian & Hernæs, Erik & Strøm, Steinar, 2002.
"Labour Supply Effects of an Early Retirement Programme,"
33/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Christian Brinch & Erik Hernæs & Steinar Strøm, 2001. "Labour Supply Effects of an Early Retirement Programme," CESifo Working Paper Series 463, CESifo Group Munich.
- James H. Stock & David A. Wise, 1988.
"Pensions, The Option Value of Work, and Retirement,"
NBER Working Papers
2686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stock, James H & Wise, David A, 1990. "Pensions, the Option Value of Work, and Retirement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(5), pages 1151-1180, September.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 2002.
"Social Security Programs and Retirement Around the World: Micro Estimation,"
NBER Working Papers
9407, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Gruber & David A. Wise, 2004. "Social Security Programs and Retirement around the World: Micro-Estimation," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number grub04-1.
- Borsch-Supan, Axel, 2000. "Incentive effects of social security on labor force participation: evidence in Germany and across Europe," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 25-49, October.
- Jan Babecky & Kamil Dybczak, 2009. "The Impact of Population Ageing on the Czech Economy," Working Papers 2009/1, Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Courtney Coile & Jonathan Gruber, 2007. "Future Social Security Entitlements and the Retirement Decision," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 234-246, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cnb:wpaper:2009/7. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jan Babecky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.