Labour Supply Effects of an Early Retirement Programme
In 1988, an early retirement program (AFP) was introduced in Norway for the 66-years-old. Since then, AFP has gradually been extended and by now it covers workers aged 62-66. In this paper we employ a multinominal logit model to study the transition between states in the labour market. The model is estimated on a large panel data set covering the period 1988-2 to 1999-4. The estimated model tracks the development quite well, as also outside sample predictions do. The model is used to assess the future labour market impact of abolishing AFP. We find that by abolishing AFP may increase the labour force participation among older men (55-67) in 2005 from 72 percent in the baseline projection to 83 percent. For females the corresponding increase is from 62 to 67 percent.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin L. Lumsdaine & Olivia S. Mitchell, .
"New Developments in the Economic Analysis of Retirement,"
Pension Research Council Working Papers
98-8, Wharton School Pension Research Council, University of Pennsylvania.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L. & Mitchell, Olivia S., 1999. "New developments in the economic analysis of retirement," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 49, pages 3261-3307 Elsevier.
- Bratberg, E. & Holmas, T.H. & Thogersen, O., 2000.
"Assessing the Effects of Early Retirement Programs,"
4/2000, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Bratberg, E. & Holmas, T.H. & Thogersen, O., 2000. "Assessing the Effects of Early Retirement Programs," Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen 0900, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Hernaes, Erik & Sollie, Marte & Strom, Steinar, 2000.
" Early Retirement and Economic Incentives,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(3), pages 481-502, June.
- Erik Hernæs & Steinar Strøm, 2000. "Family labour supply when the husband is eligible for early retirement," ICER Working Papers 04-2000, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_463. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.