Retirement Decisions of Older Czech Male Workers
I analyze the effects associated with the introduction of the earnings test on older Czech males' labor supply in 1996. Using data from the Labor Force Survey, I apply a difference-in-differences estimator to measure the effect of the policy change in the Czech pension scheme using a sample of retired males aged 60 to 64 in 1995 and 1996. I use an age group not affected by the earnings test to separate the effect associated with the implementation of the earnings test. Correcting for sample selection, results indicate that the earnings test decreases the labor supply of retired males affected by the policy change. Their participation reduces by 7.7 percentage points, while hours of work decline by 4.8 hours per week. The response to the earnings test is moderately lower after controlling for the announcement of the policy change. The pecuniary value of the labor supply drop was negligible for the state in 1996, but increased significantly between 1996 and 2000.
|Date of creation:||02 Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Acrobat PDF; pages: 21 ; figures: included|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://22.214.171.124|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edward Whitehouse, 1990. "The abolition of the pensions 'earnings rule'," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 11(3), pages 55-70, August.
- Blau, David M, 1998. "Labor Force Dynamics of Older Married Couples," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(3), pages 595-629, July.
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Leora Friedberg, 2000.
"The Labor Supply Effects of the Social Security Earnings Test,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 48-63, February.
- Leora Friedberg, 1999. "The Labor Supply Effects of the Social Security Earnings Test," NBER Working Papers 7200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Burtless, Gary & Moffitt, Robert A, 1985. "The Joint Choice of Retirement Age and Postretirement Hours of Work," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 3(2), pages 209-36, April.
- Baker, Michael & Benjamin, Dwayne, 1999. "How do retirement tests affect the labour supply of older men?," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 27-51, January.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1990. "Bridge Jobs and Partial Retirement," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 8(4), pages 482-501, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpla:0203001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.