Supply Function Equilibrium in a Constrained Transmission System
This article characterizes a supply function equilibrium in an auction market constrained by limited capacities of links in a transportation network and limited input/output capacities of participants. The formulation is adapted to a wholesale spot market for electricity managed by the operator of the transmission system. The results are derived using the calculus of variations to obtain the Euler conditions and the transversality conditions that characterize a Nash equilibrium in an auction in which bids are as supply functions, and quantities and payments are based either on nodal prices or pay-as-bid.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chao, Hung-po & Peck, Stephen & Oren, Shmuel & Wilson, Robert, 2000. "Flow-Based Transmission Rights and Congestion Management," The Electricity Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(8), pages 38-58, October.
- Bert Willems, 2000.
"Cournot competition in the electricity market with transmission constraints,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0004, KU Leuven, Department of Economics - Research Group Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Bert Willems, 2000. "Cournot Competition in the Electricity Market with Transmission Constraints," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0024, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Shmuel S. Oren, 1997. "Economic Inefficiency of Passive Transmission Rights in Congested Electricity Systems with Competitive Generation," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 63-83.
- SMEERS, Yves & WEI, Jing- Yuan, 1997. "Spatially oligopolistic model with opportunity cost pricing for transmission capacity reservations - A variational inequality approach," CORE Discussion Papers 1997017, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bert Willems, 2002. "Modeling Cournot Competition in an Electricity Market with Transmission Constraints," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 95-125.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Wilson, Robert, 1997. "Nonlinear Pricing," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195115826.
- Chao, Hung-Po & Peck, Stephen, 1996. "A Market Mechanism for Electric Power Transmission," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 25-59, July.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Ross Baldick & Ryan Grant & Edward Kahn, 2004. "Theory and Application of Linear Supply Function Equilibrium in Electricity Markets," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 143-167, 03.
- Hästö, Peter & Holmberg, Pär, 2005. "Some Inequalities related to the analysis of electricity auctions," Working Paper Series 2005:23, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Hu, X. & Ralph, D. & Ralph, E.K. & Bardsley, P. & Ferris, M.C., 2004. "Electricity Generation with Looped Transmission Networks: Bidding to an ISO," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0470, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- E.J. Anderson & A.B. Philpott, 2003. "Estimation of Electricity Market Distribution Functions," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 121(1), pages 21-32, July.
- Alfred E. Kahn & Peter Cramton & Robert H. Porter & Richard D. Tabors, 2001. "Pricing in the California Power Exchange Electricity Market: Should California Switch from Uniform Pricing to Pay-as-Bid Pricing?," Papers of Peter Cramton 01calpx, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 27 Jan 2001.
- Bolle, Friedel, 2001. "Competition with supply and demand functions," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 253-277, May.
- William W. Hogan, 1997. "A Market Power Model with Strategic Interaction in Electricity Networks," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 107-141.
- Berry, Carolyn A. & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Meroney, William A. & O'Neill, Richard P. & StewartJr, William R., 1999. "Understanding how market power can arise in network competition: a game theoretic approach," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 139-158, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cla:levrem:784828000000000087. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David K. Levine)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.