Tariff Liberalization and Trade Integration of Emerging Countries
This paper investigates how tariff liberalization has affected exporting in emerging countries. We use a highly disaggregated (6 digit level of the harmonized system – HS – classification) bilateral measure of market access to compare tariffs applied in 1996 and 2006, which includes the timing of the Uruguay Round and episodes of bilateral liberalization. Our econometric estimations consider impacts on both the extensive and intensive margins of trade. The reduced tariffs imposed on emerging countries have contributed to growth in their exports of differentiated goods at the intensive margin; they have not affected the probability of recording new flows. Growth in emerging countries’ exports at the extensive margin of trade has been due mainly to an upward shift in their comparative advantage and improvements to their infrastructure.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 113, rue de Grenelle, 75700 Paris SP07|
Phone: 33 01 53 68 55 00
Fax: 33 01 53 68 55 01
Web page: http://www.cepii.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew K. Rose, 2002.
"Do We Really Know that the WTO Increases Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
9273, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2003.
"Can Vertical Specialization Explain the Growth of World Trade?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(1), pages 52-102, February.
- Kei-Mu Yi, 2000. "Can vertical specialization explain the growth of world trade?," Staff Reports 96, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ines Buono & Guy Lalanne, 2010.
"The effect of the Uruguay Round on the intensive and extensive margins of trade,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
743, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Buono, Ines & Lalanne, Guy, 2012. "The effect of the Uruguay round on the intensive and extensive margins of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 269-283.
- I. Buono & G. Lalanne, 2009. "The Effect of the Uruguay round on the Intensive and Extensive Margins of Trade," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2009-15, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Gaulier, Guillaume & Zignago, Soledad, 2004.
"Notes on BACI (analytical database of international trade). 1989-2002 version,"
32401, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guillaume Gaulier & Soledad Zignago, 2010. "BACI: International Trade Database at the Product-Level. The 1994-2007 Version," Working Papers 2010-23, CEPII research center.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2001. "The growth of world trade: tariffs, transport costs, and income similarity," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Besedes, Tibor & Prusa, Thomas J., 2011.
"The role of extensive and intensive margins and export growth,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 371-379, November.
- Tibor Besedes & Thomas J. Prusa, 2007. "The Role of Extensive and Intensive Margins and Export Growth," NBER Working Papers 13628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2012.
"The Rise of Middle Kingdoms: Emerging Economies in Global Trade,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 41-64, Spring.
- Gordon H. Hanson, 2012. "The Rise of Middle Kingdoms: Emerging Economies in Global Trade," NBER Working Papers 17961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Debaere, Peter & Mostashari, Shalah, 2010. "Do tariffs matter for the extensive margin of international trade? An empirical analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 163-169, July.
- Fugazza, Marco & Nicita, Alessandro, 2013. "The direct and relative effects of preferential market access," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 357-368.
- Rauch, James E., 1999.
"Networks versus markets in international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- David Hummels & Peter J. Klenow, 2005. "The Variety and Quality of a Nation's Exports," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 95(3), pages 704-723, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cii:cepidt:2013-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.