Choice of contracts for quality in health care: Evidence from the British NHS
We examine how public sector third-party purchasers and hospitals negotiate quality targets when a fixed proportion of hospital revenue is required to be linked to quality. We develop a bargaining model linking the number of quality targets to purchaser and hospital characteristics. Using data extracted from 153 contracts for acute hospital services in England in 2010/11, we find that the number of quality targets is determined by the purchaser's population health and its budget, the hospital type, whether the purchaser delegated negotiation to an agency, and the quality targets imposed by the supervising regional health authority.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: York Y010 5DD|
Phone: (01904) 321401
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/che
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalkley, Martin & McVicar, Duncan, 2008.
"Choice of contracts in the British National Health Service: An empirical study,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1155-1167, September.
- Martin Chalkley & Duncan McVicar, 2007. "Choice of Contracts in the British National Health Service: An Empirical Study," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 216, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Chalkley, Martin, 2008. "Choice of Contracts in the British National Health Service: An Empirical Study," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-43, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Shaban, Radwan Ali, 1987. "Testing between Competing Models of Sharecropping," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, September.
- Robert Elliott & Ada Ma & Matt Sutton & Diane Skatun & Nigel Rice & Stephen Morris & Alex McConnachie, 2010. "The role of the staff MFF in distributing NHS funding: taking account of differences in local labour market conditions," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 532-548.
- Martin Emmert & Frank Eijkenaar & Heike Kemter & Adelheid Esslinger & Oliver Schöffski, 2012. "Economic evaluation of pay-for-performance in health care: a systematic review," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(6), pages 755-767, December.
- Fenn, Paul & Rickman, Neil & McGuire, Alistair, 1994. "Contracts and supply assurance in the UK health care market," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 125-144, July.
- Csaba, Ivan & Fenn, Paul, 1997. "Contractual choice in the managed health care market An empirical analysis," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 579-588, October.
- Luigi Siciliani & Anderson Stanciole, 2013. "Bargaining and the provision of health services," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 14(3), pages 391-406, June.
- Luigi Siciliani & Anderson Stanciol, 2008. "Bargaining and the Provision of Health Services," Discussion Papers 08/28, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Martinez-Giralt, Xavier, 2008. "Selecting health care providers: "Any willing provider" vs. negotiation," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 402-414, June.
- Petsoulas, Christina & Allen, Pauline & Hughes, David & Vincent-Jones, Peter & Roberts, Jennifer, 2011. "The use of standard contracts in the English National Health Service: A case study analysis," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 185-192, July.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-540, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chy:respap:85cherp. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frances Sharp)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.