Propagation of Inflationary Shocks in Chile and an International Comparison of Progagation of Shocks to food and Energy Prices
When a specific price is affected by a shock, this may spread to other prices and thus affect the overall inflation rate by more than the initial effect. This phenomenon is known as propagation of inflationary shocks and is the subject investigated in the present paper. It is argued that structural VAR models, with an imposed Cholesky decomposition, are suitable for the propagation analysis when the data vector includes the component affected by the initial shock and the rest of the CPI basket. The empirical analysis with annual Chilean inflation rates suggests that the propagation effects have generally diminished after the implementation of the inflation-targeting regime in September 1999. Propagation of shocks to the division including food prices, however, has increased, albeit with a delay of four months. An analysis of propagation of energy and food price shocks in seven industrialized and four Latin-American countries suggests that the effects in Chile are amongst the largest and, in the case of energy price shocks, with the longest duration.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Wei, Shang-jin & Parsley, David, 2012.
"Slow Pass-through Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?,"
10494212, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey Frankel & David Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 2012. "Slow Pass-through Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 213-251, April.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 2005. "Slow Passthrough Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?," NBER Working Papers 11199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Parsley, David & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2005. "Slow Passthrough Around the World: A New Import for Developing Countries?," Working Paper Series rwp05-016, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- José De Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007.
"Another Pass-Through Bites The Dust? Oil Prices And Inflation,"
wp238, University of Chile, Department of Economics.
- Jose de Gregorio & Oscar Landerretche & Christopher Neilson, 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Jose De Gregorio. & Oscar Landerretche. & Christopher Neilson., 2007. "Another Pass-Through Bites the Dust? Oil Prices and Inflation," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 417, Central Bank of Chile.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Chen, Hong-Yuan, 1994. "Approximately Median-Unbiased Estimation of Autoregressive Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 12(2), pages 187-204, April.
- Michael Pedersen, 2009. "Ponderaciones y la Tasa de Inflación en Chile," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 12(1), pages 117-120, April.
- Juan Pablo Medina & Claudio Soto, 2005. "Oil Shocks and Monetary Policy in an Estimated DSGE Model for a Small Open Economy," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 353, Central Bank of Chile.
- Pablo Pincheira B., 2009. "La Dinámica de la Persistencia Inflacionaria en Chile," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 12(1), pages 97-104, April.
- Claudio Soto & Luis F. Céspedes, 2006.
"Credibility and Inflation Targeting in Chile,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
408, Central Bank of Chile.
- Luis F. Céspedes & Claudio Soto, 2007. "Credibility and Inflation Targeting in Chile," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting, edition 1, volume 11, chapter 14, pages 547-578 Central Bank of Chile.
- Eduardo López E. & Francisco Meneses P. & Felipe Córdova F. & M. Carolina Grünwald N., 2008. "Comportamiento del Precio Internacional de Granos Seleccionados y su Impacto en la Inflación," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(1), pages 119-129, April.
- repec:hal:journl:hal-00287137 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roberto Álvarez & Patricio Jaramillo & Jorge Selaive, 2008. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices: The Case of Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 465, Central Bank of Chile.
- Miguel Fuentes, 2007. "Pass-Through to Import Prices: Evidence from Developing Countries," Documentos de Trabajo 320, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:566. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.