Multimodality Test and Mixture Distributions: An Application to the Central Bank Expectation Survey
This paper presents the Silverman multimodality test and mixture distributions methodology, applying both approaches to the Economic Expectations Survey of the Central Bank of Chile. The main results reflect the importance of permanently monitoring the implicit kernel distributions in each survey. Private analysts’ forecasts are found to have systematically been in line with the inflation targeting range, although during episodes where effective inflation fell outside the target range, the analysts encounter forecasting difficulties. Meanwhile, we observe the relevance of the Bank’s inflationary report for anchoring expectations, as the distributions become systematically more homogenous after publication.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Casilla No967, Santiago|
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carlos Bowles & Roberta Friz & Veronique Genre & Geoff Kenny & Aidan Meyler & Tuomas Rautanen, 2007. "The ECB survey of professional forecasters (SPF) – A review after eight years’ experience," Occasional Paper Series 59, European Central Bank.
- Mark Gertler & Jordi Gali & Richard Clarida, 1999.
"The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Galí & Mark Gertler, 1997. "The science of monetary policy: A new Keynesian perspective," Economics Working Papers 356, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Apr 1999.
- Richard Clarida & Jordi Gali & Mark Gertler, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," NBER Working Papers 7147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Clarida, R. & Gali, J. & Gertler, M., 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," Working Papers 99-13, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Clarida, Richard & Galí, Jordi & Gertler, Mark, 1999. "The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 2139, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fabián Gredig U. & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D. & Rodrigo O. Valdés P., 2008. "The Monetary Policy Horizon in Chile and Other Inflation-Targeting Countries," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(1), pages 5-27, April.
- Fabián Gredig & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Rodrigo Valdés, 2007. "The Monetary Policy Horizon in Chile and Other Inflation-Targeting Countries," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 438, Central Bank of Chile.
- Lahiri, Kajal & Teigland, Christie & Zaporowski, Mark, 1988. "Interest Rates and the Subjective Probability Distribution of Inflation Forecasts," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 20(2), pages 233-248, May.
- Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2007. "Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series,in: Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting, edition 1, volume 11, chapter 1, pages 001-022 Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D., 2006. "Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 9(3), pages 5-17, December.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2006. "Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 396, Central Bank of Chile.
- Bergstrom, P., 1999. "Bootstrap Methods and Applications in Econometrics -a Brief Survey," Papers 1999:2, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Demertzis, Maria, 2004. "Central Bank independence: Low inflation at no cost? A numerical simulations exercise," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 661-677, December.
- M. Demertzis, 2001. "Central Bank Independence: Low Inflation at no Cost? A Numeral Simulations Exercise," WO Research Memoranda (discontinued) 656, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:489. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.