State Capture: From Yeltsin to Putin
In this short paper we attempt to assess the results of Putin’s centralization and anti-corruption measures on the overall level of state capture in the Russian regions as well as on the balance of power between different interest groups. We proceed by, first, describing the results of previous research on state capture in the Russia’s regions during Yeltsin in section 1 and, then, analyzing the changes in the nature and the level of state capture during Putin’s administration in section 2. Section 3 concludes.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 117418 Russia, Moscow, Nakhimovsky pr., 47, office 720|
Phone: +7 (495) 105 50 02
Fax: +7 (495) 105 50 03
Web page: http://www.cefir.ru
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irina Slinko & Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2003.
"Laws for Sale: Evidence from Russia,"
w0031, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Sergei Guriev & Andrei Rachinsky, 2005.
"The Role of Oligarchs in Russian Capitalism,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 19(1), pages 131-150, Winter.
- Hellman, Joel S. & Jones, Geraint & Kaufmann, Daniel & Schankerman, Mark, 2000.
"Measuring governance, corruption, and State capture - how firms and bureaucrats shape the business environment in transition economies,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2312, The World Bank.
- Joel S. Hellman & Geraint Jones & Daniel Kaufmann & Mark Schankerman, 2003. "Measuring Governance, Corruption and State Capture: How Firms and Bureaucrats Shape the Business Environment in Transition Economies," Development and Comp Systems 0308004, EconWPA.
- Alexander Alekseev & Natalia Tourdyeva & Ksenia Yudaeva, 2003. "Estimation of the Russia’s trade policy options with the help of the Computable General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers w0042, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Andrei Shleifer & Robert W. Vishny, 1994. "Politicians and Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(4), pages 995-1025.
- Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004. "State Capture and Controlling Owners of Firms," Working Papers w0044, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Joel Hellman & Daniel Kaufmann, 2003. "The Inequality of Influence," Development and Comp Systems 0308005, EconWPA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cfr:cefirw:w0094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia Babich)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.