Corruption, Voting and Employment Status: Evidence from Russian Parliamentary Elections
This paper examines to what extent the distribution of votes and voting behavior of people with different employment status are affected by regional differences in corruption. Using data from the Russian Parliamentary (State Duma) Elections 1999 and 2003, I develop and estimate a SUR system of equations which takes into account specific features of the Russian electoral system. The paper distinguishes between hard and perceived measures of corruption and analyzes the effects of corruption on the voting shares of particular parties and on voters' participation in elections. Additionally, a series of Monte Carlo simulations are performed to analyze the effects of corruption on the distribution of votes.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irina Slinko & Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2004.
"Laws for Sale: Evidence from Russia,"
Economics Working Papers
0046, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Fidrmuc, J., 1998.
"Political Support for Reforms : Economics of Voting in Transition Countries,"
1998-98, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fidrmuc, Jan, 2000. "Political support for reforms: Economics of voting in transition countries," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(8), pages 1491-1513, August.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1991.
"The Politics of Government Decision-Making: A Theory of Regulatory Capture,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1089-1127.
- Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Jean TIROLE, 1990. "The Politics of Government Decision-Making : a Theory of Regulatory Capture," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9004, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Politics of Government Decision-Making: A Theory of Regulatory Capture," Working papers 506, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olken, Benjamin A., 2009.
"Corruption perceptions vs. corruption reality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 93(7-8), pages 950-964, August.
- Olken, Benjamin, 2007. "Corruption Perceptions vs. Corruption Reality," CEPR Discussion Papers 6272, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benjamin Olken, 2006. "Corruption perceptions vs. corruption reality," Natural Field Experiments 00318, The Field Experiments Website.
- Benjamin A. Olken, 2006. "Corruption Perceptions vs. Corruption Reality," NBER Working Papers 12428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini & Francesco Trebbi, .
"Electoral Rules and Corruption,"
182, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini & Francesco Trebbi, 2001. "Electoral Rules and Corruption," NBER Working Papers 8154, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torsten Persson & Guido Tabellini & Francesco Trebbi, 2001. "Electoral Rules and Corruption," CESifo Working Paper Series 416, CESifo Group Munich.
- Persson, Torsten & Tabellini, Guido & Trebbi, Francesco, 2001. "Electoral Rules and Corruption," CEPR Discussion Papers 2741, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521632935 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tavares, Samia Costa, 2007. "Do rapid political and trade liberalizations increase corruption?," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 1053-1076, December.
- Evgeny Yakovlev & Ekaterina Zhuravskaya, 2005.
"State Capture: From Yeltsin to Putin,"
w0052, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Pranab Bardhan, 1997. "Corruption and Development: A Review of Issues," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1320-1346, September.
- Jakob Svensson, 2005. "Eight Questions about Corruption," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(3), pages 19-42, Summer.
- Timothy Feddersen & Alvaro Sandroni, 2006. "A Theory of Participation in Elections," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 96(4), pages 1271-1282, September.
- repec:jss:jstsof:08:i01 is not listed on IDEAS
- Leijonhufvud, Axel & Ruhl, Christof, 1997. "Russian Dilemmas," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 344-48, May.
- Frye, Timothy, 2006. "Ownership, voting, and job creation in Russia," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 452-471, June.
- Paolo Mauro, 1995. "Corruption and Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(3), pages 681-712.
- Warner, Andrew M., 2001. "Is Economic Reform Popular at the Polls? Russia 1995," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 448-465, September.
- Andrew Austin & Tatyana Kosyaeva & Nathaniel Wilcox, 2005. "Believe but Verify? Russian Views and the Market," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp278, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521659123 is not listed on IDEAS
- Katz, Jonathan N., 1997. "A Statistical Model for Multiparty Electoral Data," Working Papers 1005, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp428. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.