Dynamic Modelling of Nonresponse in Business Surveys
It is well-known that nonresponse affects the results of surveys and can even cause bias due to selectivities if it cannot be regarded as missing at random. In contrast to household surveys, response behaviour in business surveys has been examined rarely in the literature. This paper is one of the first which analyses a large business survey on micro data level for unit nonresponse. The data base is the Ifo Business Tendency Survey, which was established in 1949 and has more than 5,000 responding firms each month. The panel structure allows to use statistical modelling including time-varying effects to check for the existence of a panel fatigue. The results show that there are huge differences in business characteristics such as size or sub-sector and that nonresponse is more frequent in economically good times.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstr. 5, 81679 München|
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ces:ifosdt:v::y:2009:i::p:34-41 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maindonald, John, 2006. "Generalized Additive Models: An Introduction with R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 16(b03).
- Sascha O. Becker & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2008.
"European Data Watch: Micro Data at the Ifo Institute for Economic Research – The “Ifo Business Survey”, Usage and Access,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 128(2), pages 307-319.
- Sascha Becker & Klaus Wohlrabe, 2007. "Micro Data at the Ifo Institute for Economic Research â€“ The "Ifo Business Survey", Usage and Access," ifo Working Paper Series 47, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Klaus Abberger & Manuel Birnbrich & Christian Seiler, 2009. "Der Â»Test des TestsÂ« im Handel â€“ eine Metaumfrage zum ifo Konjunkturtest," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 62(21), pages 34-41, November.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Janik, Florian & Kohaut, Susanne, 2009. "Why don't they answer? Unit non-response in the IAB Establishment Panel," FDZ Methodenreport 200907_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Denise Hawkes & Ian Plewis, 2006. "Modelling non-response in the National Child Development Study," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 169(3), pages 479-491.
- Anja HÃ¶nig, 2009. "The New EBDC Dataset: An Innovative Combination of Survey and Financial Statement Data," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 10(4), pages 62-63, 01. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)