The European Commission – Appointment, Preferences, and Institutional Relations
The paper analyzes the appointment of the European Commission as a strategic game between members of the European Parliament and the Council. The focal equilibrium results in Commissioners that duplicate the policy preferences of national Council representatives. Different internal decision rules still prevent the Commission from being a Council clone in aggregate. Rather, it is predicted a priori that Commission policies are on average more in accord with the aggregate position of the Parliament than that of the Council. This prediction is confirmed for a data set covering 66 dossiers with 162 controversial EU legislative proposals passed between 1999 and 2002.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1998.
" Is the Allocation of Voting Power among EU States Fair?,"
Springer, vol. 94(3-4), pages 317-39, March.
- Annick Laruelle & Mika Widgrén, 1998. "Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 94(3), pages 317-339, March.
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgren, Mika, 1996. "Is the allocation of voting power among EU states fair?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1996022, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Ariel Rubinstein, 2010.
"Perfect Equilibrium in a Bargaining Model,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
252, David K. Levine.
- Dan S Felsenthal & Moshé Machover, 2004. "Analysis of QM rules in the draft constitution for Europe proposed by the European Convention, 2003," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 1-20, 08.
- Hix, Simon, 1997. "Executive Selection in the European Union: Does the Commission President Investiture Procedure Reduce the Democratic Deficit?," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 1, November.
- George Tsebelis & Geoffrey Garrett, 2000. "Legislative Politics in the European Union," European Union Politics, , vol. 1(1), pages 9-36, February.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521494267 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2006.
"The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 129-154, August.
- Stefan Napel & Mika Widgrén, 2004. "The Inter-Institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," CESifo Working Paper Series 1347, CESifo Group Munich.
- Napel, Stefan & Widgren, Mika, 2004. "The Inter-institutional Distribution of Power in EU Codecision," Discussion Papers 944, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Abdul Ghafar Noury & Simon Hix & Gérard Roland, 2004.
"How to choose the European executive? A counterfactual analysis, 1979-2001,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/8496, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Abdul Ghafar Noury & Simon Hix & Gérard Roland, 2003. "How to choose the European executive? A counterfactual analysis, 1979-2001," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8516, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Topan, Angelina, 2002. "The resignation of the Santer-Commission: the impact of 'trust' and 'reputation'," European Integration online Papers (EIoP), European Community Studies Association Austria (ECSA-A), vol. 6, 09.
- Hooghe, Liesbet, 2005. "Several Roads Lead to International Norms, but Few Via International Socialization: A Case Study of the European Commission," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 59(04), pages 861-898, October.
- Banks, Jeffrey S. & Duggan, John, 1999. "A Bargaining Model of Collective Choice," Working Papers 1053, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Napel,S. & Widgren,M., 2002. "Power measurement as sensitivity analysis : a unified approach," Working Papers 345, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:ceswps:_2120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julio Saavedra)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.