Can the Market Fix a Wrong Administrative Decision? Massive Delisting on the Prague Stock Exchange
This research contributes to the investigation of the emerging stock markets in transition economies, namely in the Czech Republic. We estimate the impact of the various determinants of shares delisting e.g. exclusion from public trading on the Prague Stock Exchange (PSE) during the period 1993 – 2004. Unlike its counterparts in Poland or Hungary, exceptionally large amounts of shares were delisted from the PSE. Using the data on listed and delisted companies we show that the pre-privatization and privatization characteristics of the companies were decisive for delisting. This further indicates that it would have been possible to prevent massive delisting if these factors had been taken into account when deciding which companies to place on the stock exchange for public trading. Moreover, therefore companies that were not suitable for public trading were also not suitable for voucher privatization.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Levine, Ross & Zervos, Sara, 1996.
"Stock markets, banks, and economic growth,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1690, The World Bank.
- Jan Bena & Jan Hanousek, 2008.
"Rent Extraction by Large Shareholders: Evidence Using Dividend Policy in the Czech Republic,"
Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver),
Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 58(03-04), pages 106-130, May.
- Jan Bena & Jan Hanousek, 2006. "Rent extraction by large shareholders: evidence using dividend policy in the Czech Republic," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24510, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jan Bena & Jan Hanousek, 2006. "Rent Extraction by Large Shareholders: Evidence Using Dividend Policy in the Czech Republic," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp291, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Jan Hanousek & Jan Bena, 2006. "Rent Extraction by Large Shareholders: Evidence Using Dividend Policy in the Czech Republic," FMG Discussion Papers dp556, Financial Markets Group.
- Hanousek, Jan & Podpiera, Richard, 2004. "Czech experience with market maker trading system," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 177-191, June.
- Vladimir Atanasov & Conrad S. Ciccotello & Stanley B. Gyoshev, 2005. "How Does Law Affect Finance? An Empirical Examination of Tunneling in an Emerging Market," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp742, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Megginson, William Leon, 2005. "The Financial Economics of Privatization," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195150629, December.
- Nandini Gupta & John C. Ham & Jan Svejnar, 2000.
"Priorities and Sequencing in Privatization: Theory and Evidence from the Czech Republic,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
323, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Nandini Gupta & John Ham & Jan Svejnar, 2000. "Priorities and Sequencing in Privatization: Theory and Evidence from the Czech Republic," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1580, Econometric Society.
- Anete Pajuste, 2002. "Corporate Governance and Stock Market Performance in Central and Eastern Europe: A Study of nine countries, 1994-2001”," Working Papers 22, CENTRE FOR THE STUDY OF ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CHANGE IN EUROPE,School of Slavonic and East European Studies,University College London (SSEES,UCL).
- World Bank, 2002. "Transition, The First Ten Years : Analysis and Lessons for Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14042, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp335. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.