Valuing Iconic Design: Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture in Oak Park, Illinois
This study investigates the willingness of homebuyers to pay for co-location with iconic architecture. Oak Park, Illinois was chosen as the study area given its unique claim of having 24 residential structures designed by world-famous American architect Frank Lloyd Wright, in addition to dozens of other designated landmarks and three preservation districts. This study adds to the limited body of existing literature on the external price effects of architectural design and is unique in its focus on residential architecture. The results show that an external premium to iconic architecture does exist and that the effect steeply decays with distance.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.spatialeconomics.ac.uk/SERC/publications/default.asp|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robin M. Leichenko & N. Edward Coulson & David Listokin, 2001. "Historic Preservation and Residential Property Values: An Analysis of Texas Cities," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 38(11), pages 1973-1987, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2007.
"Impact of Sports Arenas on Land Values: Evidence from Berlin,"
0703, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists.
- Gabriel Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 44(2), pages 205-227, April.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Impact of sports arenas on land values: evidence from Berlin," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25512, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- JunJie Wu & Richard M. Adams & Andrew J. Plantinga, 2004.
"Amenities in an Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development in Portland, Oregon,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 80(1), pages 19-32.
- Wu, JunJie & Adams, Richard M. & Plantinga, Andrew J., 2003. "Amenities In An Urban Equilibrium Model: Residential Development In Portland, Oregon," 2003 Annual meeting, July 27-30, Montreal, Canada 21961, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Wolfgang Maennig, 2010. "Substitutability and Complementarity of Urban Amenities: External Effects of Built Heritage in Berlin," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 38(2), pages 285-323.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1995. "On the Price of Land and the Value of Amenities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 247-267, May.
- McMillen, Daniel P. & McDonald, John F., 1991. "Urban land value functions with endogenous zoning," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 14-27, January.
- McMillen, Daniel P., 1996. "One Hundred Fifty Years of Land Values in Chicago: A Nonparametric Approach," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 100-124, July.
- Hough, Douglas E. & Kratz, Charles G., 1983. "Can "good" architecture meet the market test?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 40-54, July.
- Gabriel M. Ahlfeldt & Georgios Kavetsos, 2011.
"Form or Function? The Impact of New Football Stadia on Property Prices in London,"
SERC Discussion Papers
0087, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Ahlfeldt, Gabriel M. & Georgios, Kavetsos, 2010. "Form or Function? The Impact of New Football Stadia on Property Prices in London," MPRA Paper 25003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Asabere, Paul K & Hachey, George & Grubaugh, Steven, 1989. "Architecture, Historic Zoning, and the Value of Homes," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 181-195, September.
- Anderson, Soren T. & West, Sarah E., 2006. "Open space, residential property values, and spatial context," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 773-789, November.
- Kerry D. Vandell & Jonathan S. Lane, 1989. "The Economics of Architecture and Urban Design: Some Preliminary Findings," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 235-260.
- J F McDonald & D P McMillen, 1990. "Employment subcenters and land values in a polycentric urban area: the case of Chicago," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 22(12), pages 1561-1574, December.
- Stephen Gibbons & Stephen Machin, 2008. "Valuing school quality, better transport, and lower crime: evidence from house prices," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 99-119, spring.
- Brent L. Mahan & BStephen Polasky & Richard M. Adams, 2000. "Valuing Urban Wetlands: A Property Price Approach," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(1), pages 100-113.
- Douglas S. Noonan, 2007. "Finding an Impact of Preservation Policies: Price Effects of Historic Landmarks on Attached Homes in Chicago, 1990-1999," Economic Development Quarterly, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, vol. 21(1), pages 17-33, February.
- McDonald, John F. & Bowman, H. Woods, 1979. "Land value functions: A reevaluation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 25-41, January.
- Daniel P. McMillen, 2010. "Issues In Spatial Data Analysis," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 119-141.
- Song, Yan & Knaap, Gerrit-Jan, 2003. "New urbanism and housing values: a disaggregate assessment," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 218-238, September.
- Do, A Quang & Grudnitski, Gary, 1995. "Golf Courses and Residential House Prices: An Empirical Examination," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 261-270, May.
- N. Edward Coulson & Michael L. Lahr, 2005. "Gracing the Land of Elvis and Beale Street: Historic Designation and Property Values in Memphis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 33(3), pages 487-507, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cep:sercdp:0084. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.