Inefficiency And Abuse Of Compulsory Land Acquisition--An Enquiry Into The Way Forward
This paper focuses on two issues--the problems with the compulsory acquisition of land, and the regulatory and institutional impediments that obstruct voluntary land transactions. We argue that any compulsory acquisition based process is intrinsically inefficient and unfair, even if it is accompanied by presumably benevolent schemes such as land-for-land and the R&R packages. Moreover, it is inherently prone to litigation. We demonstrate how what we call the 'regulatory hold-up' precludes a large number of potential transactions in agriculture land, and puts a downward pressure on land prices. The paper offers suggestions for reforming the legal and regulatory framework governing the land and its use. Finally, we discuss the Land Acquisition and Rehabilitation & Resettlement (LARR) Bill 2011. We show that the bill leaves open several backdoors for the states to favour companies. Movreover, it fails to address the fundamental causes behind rampant disputes and litigation over compensation.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Delhi 110 007|
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maitreesh Ghatak & Parikshit Ghosh, 2011. "The Land Acquisition Bill-- A Critique and a Proposal," Working papers 204, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- Sarthak Gaurav & Srijit Mishra, 2011. "Size-class and returns to cultivation in India: A Cold case reopened," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2011-027, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2009.
"Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 410-421, February.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9824, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and consequences of land sales market participation : panel evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4323, The World Bank.
- Morris, Sebastian & Pandey, Ajay, . "Towards Reform of Land Acquisition Framework in India," IIMA Working Papers WP2007-05-04, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:209. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.