The Land Acquisition Bill-- A Critique and a Proposal
The new Bill on land acquisition recently tabled in Parliament is well intentioned but seriously flawed. Its principal defect is that it attaches an arbitrary mark-up to the historical market price to determine compensation amounts. This will guarantee neither social justice nor the efficient use of resources. The Bill also places unnecessary and severe conditions on land acquisition, such as restrictions on the use of multi-cropped land and insistence on public purpose, all of which are going to stifle the pace of development without promoting the interests of farmers. We present an alternative approach that will allow farmers to choose compensation in either land or cash, determine their own price instead of leaving it to the government’s discretion, and also reallocate the remaining farmland in the most efficient manner. Our proposed method involves a land auction covering not only the project site but also the surrounding agricultural land.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (011) 27667005
Fax: (011) 27667159
Web page: http://www.cdedse.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.cdedse.org/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521551847 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521536721 is not listed on IDEAS
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2009.
"Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India,"
Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 410-421, February.
- Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and consequences of land sales market participation : panel evidence from India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4323, The World Bank.
- Deininger, Klaus W. & Jin, Songqing & Nagarajan, Hari K., 2007. "Determinants and Consequences of Land Sales Market Participation: Panel Evidence from India," 2007 Annual Meeting, July 29-August 1, 2007, Portland, Oregon TN 9824, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cde:cdewps:204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sanjeev Sharma)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.