A Spatial cost of living index for Colombia using a microeconomic approach and censored data
This paper describes a methodology to calculate a spatial cost of living index using Colombian data for 2006 that takes into consideration the microeconomic behavior of households. Using the Almost Ideal Demand System and recovering the expenditure functions for the 23 main Colombian cities, the index proposed is compared to the traditional methodologies used to calculate the regional basket of goods in the country and to an alternative methodology proposed by Romero (2005). This comparison suggests that when the substitution effects are not considered, and the same basket of goods is evaluated in every city, the index is biased, and this bias increases when the difference between cities increases. For reducing the bias, we use a microeconomic approach that keeps the households' level of utility constant and allows substitution among different baskets of goods. According to our calculations, Bogota is still the most expensive city in the country followed by Armenia, Cali, Bucaramanga and Ibague.
|Date of creation:||May 2011|
|Date of revision:||May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (55) 355-768
Fax: (55) 355-878
Web page: http://www.economiaucn.com
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dusan Paredes, 2011. "A methodology to compute regional housing price index using matching estimator methods," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 139-157, February.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
- Deaton, Angus, 1987. "Estimation of own- and cross-price elasticities from household survey data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 7-30.
- Kokoski, Mary F, 1987. "Problems in the Measurement of Consumer Cost-of-Living Indexes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(1), pages 39-46, January.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Hans-Friedrich Eckey & Matthias Türck, 2008. "New economic geography and regional price level," Review of Regional Research, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 43-60, February.
- repec:kas:wpaper:2005-78 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ray, Ranjan, 1983. "Measuring the costs of children : An alternative approach," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 89-102, October.
- Keen, Michael, 1986. "Zero Expenditures and the Estimation of Engel Curves," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 277-86, July.
- Jahyeong Koo & Keith Phillips & Fiona Sigalla, 1997.
"Measuring regional cost of living,"
9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Federico Perali & Jean-Paul Chavas, 2000. "Estimation of Censored Demand Equations from Large Cross-Section Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 1022-1037.
- Darwin Cortes & Jorge Perez, 2010.
"El Consumo de los Hogares Colombianos, 2006-2007: Estimación de Sistemas de Demanda,"
REVISTA DESARROLLO Y SOCIEDAD,
UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Darwin Cortés & Jorge Eduardo Pérez, 2010. "El consumo de los hogares colombianos, 2006-2007: estimación de sistemas de demanda," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO 007271, UNIVERSIDAD DEL ROSARIO.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Russel J. Cooper & Keith R. McLaren, 1992. "An Empirically Oriented Demand System with Improved Regularity Properties," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 25(3), pages 652-68, August.
- J. Scott Shonkwiler & Steven T. Yen, 1999. "Two-Step Estimation of a Censored System of Equations," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 972-982.
- Braithwait, Steven D, 1980. "The Substitution Bias of the Laspeyres Price Index: An Analysis Using Estimated Cost-of-Living Indexes," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(1), pages 64-77, March.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Michael J. Boskin, 1998. "Consumer Prices, the Consumer Price Index, and the Cost of Living," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(1), pages 3-26, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cat:dtecon:dt201104. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dusan Paredes)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.