Construction of a Spatial Housing Price Index by Estimating an Almost Ideal Demand System
The aim of this article is to build a spatial housing price index for the Chilean communes (the commune political body similar to a municipality or county). The first step is to recover hedonic prices of three housing attributes by estimating a mixed index model (Bowden, 1992) using a generalized method of moments procedure. Secondly, a censored almost ideal demand system (Deaton and Muellbauer, 1980) is estimated to build expenditures for every commune and to compare them among different spatial units, while maintaining a constant utility level. Using micro data from the 2009 CASEN survey, we show that there are important differences in housing prices among Chilean communes and the axiomatic approach tends to understate spatial index compared to economic approach.
|Date of creation:||29 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ed Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000.
NBER Working Papers
7790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Jed Kolko & Albert Saiz, 2000. "Consumer City," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1901, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1995. "Axiomatic and Economic Approaches to Elementary Price Indexes," NBER Working Papers 5104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heien, Dale & Wessells, Cathy Roheim, 1990. "Demand Systems Estimation with Microdata: A Censored Regression Approach," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(3), pages 365-71, July.
- Dusan Paredes, 2011. "A methodology to compute regional housing price index using matching estimator methods," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(1), pages 139-157, February.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Duranton, Gilles & Gobillon, Laurent, 2004.
"Spatial Wage Disparities: Sorting Matters!,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4240, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jahyeong Koo & Keith Phillips & Fiona Sigalla, 1997.
"Measuring regional cost of living,"
9713, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Stephen Malpezzi, . "Hedonic Pricing Models: A Selective and Applied Review," Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers 02-05, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Brasington, David M. & Hite, Diane, 2008. "A mixed index approach to identifying hedonic price models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 271-284, May.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Ricardo Lira, 1978. "Precios Implícitos de Características de Viviendas en Santiago," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 15(44), pages 67-90.
- Bowden, Roger J, 1992. "Competitive Selection and Market Data: The Mixed-Index Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 625-33, July.
- Eugenio Figueroa & George Lever, 1992. "Determinantes del precio de la vivienda en Santiago: Una estimación hedónica," Estudios de Economia, University of Chile, Department of Economics, vol. 19(1 Year 19), pages 67-84, June.
- Timmins, Christopher, 2006. "Estimating spatial differences in the Brazilian cost of living with household location choices," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 59-83, June.
- Dusan Paredes & Patricio Aroca, 2008. "Metodología para Estimar un Indice Regional de Costo de Vivienda en Chile," Latin American Journal of Economics-formerly Cuadernos de Economía, Instituto de Economía. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile., vol. 45(131), pages 129-143.
- Halvorsen, Robert & Pollakowski, Henry O., 1981. "Choice of functional form for hedonic price equations," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 37-49, July.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:30581. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.